May 27, 200422 yr comment_18478 Hello people this may be a really silly question but here it goes...is it possible to use a water bed heater to hear an aquarium?? I was thinking it must be just as good as a normal heater.....has anyone out there used one to heat their aquarium...it's just that I've got one lying around..... Thanks. Report
May 27, 200422 yr comment_18479 They are just like an Undertank Heating Pad Trouble is the thermostat sensor Made of copper (I think) BAD for fish You'd have to figure a way to control the heat another way Alan Report
May 27, 200422 yr comment_18482 for the small cost of $30 for a new heater, dont bother with it, they're crap. Report
May 28, 200422 yr comment_18493 Crap? Bit harsh. under gravel heating has many advantages, from what I have read. However unless you a MEGA serious about you planted tank, then the standard glass heater is a better option. Another advantage of under tank heaters is you don't see them in the tank. Caryl and her husband use them to great effect, and they are DIY. I am sure she can help if this is they way you are going. Pie Report
May 28, 200422 yr comment_18501 Yes, we made our own but not using a waterbed heater as we had heard of people having problems with them not regulating the heat properly. Making your own is not something I recommend you do unless you have electrical knowledge and qualifications (which Grant has) as it can have disatrous effects if you get the calculations wrong. We used pinex and silicone cable and our pads cover the whole base of our 4ft tanks. The lounge one has been running many years now with no problems whatsoever. The mains flex was attached by the cable supplier as it needed to be crimped and sealed using heat shrink and glued sleeves for safety. You need to work out the power required to heat the tank then calculate the correct length of cable. You must also use cable which has the correct resistance. Report
May 28, 200422 yr comment_18506 you could always get yourself reptile enclosure heat pads if the tank is small and just sit the tank ontop of it heaps a ppl do it over here in aus Report
May 28, 200422 yr Author comment_18513 Thanks everyone...Caryl could I get all these components from say MasterTrades? Report
May 28, 200422 yr comment_18518 I doubt it NPnewbie as it is specialised cable. We got ours from Argus Heating in Christchurch. The only one I can find now is a different address and phone number but I assume it is the same company but they have moved in the intervening years. 455 St Asaph St. Christchurch. 03 379 5100. They will need to know what you want the cable for, how many watts you need and the cable resistance to achieve this. Report
May 28, 200422 yr Author comment_18521 Thanks sounds too technical ummm will have to think about that one... Report
May 28, 200422 yr comment_18537 Don't suppose you or grant would be willing to make them for anyone that wanted one, Caryl? For a fair profit, of course. Report
May 29, 200422 yr comment_18541 Quite possibly Ira but time is the problem. Grant is so busy it might take a while to get it done! I know someone who used to make them too but not sure if he still does. He lives in Levin. Report
May 30, 200422 yr Author comment_18594 If your friend is interested in Making one for me let me know I'm happy to pay if the cost isn't too high....there's no rush just when you get around to it. Report
May 30, 200422 yr comment_18610 what! how many people are going to Fiji????!!!! Steve, Pies, Caryl,... anyone else? Report
May 30, 200422 yr comment_18614 About 30 of us I gather. Not all belong to here though. Suemack is another, Janey, Jo (who isn't in here often) too for starters Report
June 14, 200422 yr Author comment_19131 Hello Caryl how was fiji....by the way how do you adjust or regulate the temperature in your tanks that use your DIY heat pads? Do you use a thermostat of some sort? If so did you make it yourselves? Been trying to find shcematics on one but haven't been sucessful. Thanks. Report
June 14, 200422 yr comment_19140 Fiji was brilliant! Am working on the pics to get them on here so you can all see. We use bought thermostats on the heatpads rather than make our own. Any thermostat will do but we used the one you get when you buy a heater and thermostat separately. They used to be common but nowadays you get them as one in a heaterstat. That shows my age doesn't it? :lol: Report
June 14, 200422 yr Author comment_19153 Thanks Caryl where did you get them?? What shop? I have read elsehwhere where people were concern with the pad cracking the glass was that a problem you were concern with when you made your pads? Report
June 15, 200422 yr comment_19209 The thermostats were originally bought from a lfs. The pads haven't cracked the glass because the wire was coiled evenly around and around the pinex sheet so weight was evenly distributed. I have heard of people cutting channels to put the wires in but we didn't. Our heat pads are under two 4ft tanks and a 3ft. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.