Cycling my tank, is this good or bad?

myxsptlk

Hi guys, I'm new to saltwater and I'm cycling my tank at the moment, don't have much in it apart from a few rocks, anyway I noticed some tiny things growing on some of the rocks and also some other stuff. Are they okay being in there or should I remove them and if so, how? When I went to get my rocks from Organism, John cut out something which resembled what's in my tank and he said that I don't want them in there.

Apologies if pictures don't show, first time trying to attach pics and also sorry for cellphone pics

DSC00157.jpg

DSC00155.jpg

Thanks guys!

That is some mean coralline algae growth you have there, how long have you been cycling for? Where did you get the rocks from?

The weedy type stuff as mentioned is ok, but the little brown anemone things, Aiptasia, is something ya need to get rid of, and it will be what John was cutting out of the rock. You are bound to get them throughout ur experiences owning a reef tank no matter how hard you try to keep them away.

I'd suggest poping into Organism and seeing if John has any Joes Juice. Thats what I use on mine and it seems to work quite well :)

The bottom photo looks a bit like a feather duster or a tube worm. You'll end up with tons of those and they're beneficial filter feeders, nothing to worry about :)

Post pics up of ur whole setup, I'm always interested when a new CHC reefer starts up :)

I've only been cycling it for a week, the rocks came from John at Organism. I tried using hot water to kill the little anemone things and those buggers are fast for brainless invertibrates. As soon as my syringe got anywhere near them they just pulled back into the rock as fast as anything (shaky hands don't help I suppose)

Yea I was surprised about the pictures, I tried using my sister's new digital camera but normal mode macro mode the whole white balance thingamabob and nothing seemed to work, it wouldn't focus when i zoomed in.

Anyway hopefully things go well and once everything's done I'll post some pics up. Thanks guys!