Male con pic.

Conaquavict

I've never had any luck feedingthe fry to other fish, they always manage to get away and survive. I've heard of some that were chucked in a turtle tank for food but actually started breeding!!

Here's my 8cm albino male

33%3A8696%3B23232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E2333%3D4%3A9%3D%3C6%3C%3DXROQDF%3E232354775%3B336ot1lsi

I'm not usually a big fan of albino fish, but he's cool. :wink:

I've never had any luck feedingthe fry to other fish, they always manage to get away and survive. I've heard of some that were chucked in a turtle tank for food but actually started breeding!!

Here's my 8cm albino male

33%3A8696%3B23232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E2333%3D4%3A9%3D%3C6%3C%3DXROQDF%3E232354775%3B336ot1lsi

I'm not usually a big fan of albino fish, but he's cool. :wink:

Thats a fine looking fish, David :wink:

Your're right pink convicts are not albinos. I remember reading somewhere that the correct name for the condition is leucomorphism (as opposed to albinism) and is caused by a recessive gene. I used to have a pair of black striped convicts that produced about 1/4 pink fry and 3/4 striped fry when they bred. Each of the parents must of been carring the recesive gene.

Midas did they ever produce any marbled ones?? I'm going to grow up a female striped con to breed with mine to see what happens. Not sure if thats how you get marbled ones, but I'll give it a go! Would it be a mutation or some sorts, or can you have more than one recessive gene? *thinks back to 7th form bio* :-?

nope they never had any marbled ones. I'd guess that a cross between pink and striped would just give you different proportions of pink and striped offspring (either 50/50 or all striped) depending on whether or not the striped parent carried the recessive gene or not.

The marbled phenotype is more than likely due to another recessive gene or some combination of recessive genes (depending on how complicated the genetics for it is). Someone may have done some research on it, might have a stab around the net later and see what is out there in the way of convict genetics.

Sounds like straight foward mendelian genetics, with the colours, ie two genes and one being recessive, giving a 4:1 ratio of normal to pink, when both parents carry the recessive gene. I dont think that 'hybrids will be possible, theres not enough genes involved to get dimorphisms... remember the punnet squares....

even if you get a female dave she will have to carry the recesive gene if you are to get any pink ones at all, otherwise just the normal colouration.

Thats what I was thinking, the results from the punnet square would be something like:

25% SS (S= striped)

50% Ss

25% ss

So if I was to aquire a striped female of Midas there's be a 2/3 chance that it would be carrying the recessive gene.

Hawera is a long way to go for one convict tho! Have you ever couriered a fish before Midas??

Actually I haven't got any convict females left, bar one (which I think looking at the latest batch of fry definately doesn't have the recessive gene). I don't even still have the original striped female that I could have guaranteed had the recessive gene - I sold her a couple of years back as I was sick of dealing with convict fry everywhere.

I still have one male that I can guarantee has the ressive gene and some other males that have a 25% chance of carrying it.

I guess if I had a pink female I could breed it with the male I know has the recessive gene and do the same thing your're trying to do.