introduction

lang

hi all, I was going to ask where to start...but just noticed a where to start page lol so thought i may read that first aye! I am a total newbie, have just bought a tank (aqua one 500) 65l i think it is and wondering what is the best way to start.... mainly want something that our near 2 yr old can admire, he is mad keen on fish but wifey and I are totally in the dark... freshwater, tropical, marine...sheesh... will be a steep learning curve i guess, so will read through the newbies forum first, looking at getting some goldfish i guess would be the easiest starters this weekend hopefully. thanks

Ian

In Sunny Marlborough by the way, not sure how many others are, but do say hi.

:lol:

Hi and welcome! There are a few down there on here :) If you only have a 65L tank I wouldn't recommend goldfish as they will outgrow it relatively fast and they're not actually that much easier to look after than tropicals..

If you did want to stay unheated you could do guppies or white cloud mountain minnows or leapard fish.. It stays relative warm down there except for overnight I guess so if your house is heated overnight you could do guppies in an unheated tank too.

Good luck and make sure you ask questions on here before you make any moves as there are considerations like cycling etc to take into account when starting your first tank :)

Hi lang. There are some other Marlburians in here. What about joining the Marlborough Aquarium Club? :wink:

Best way to start is to swap mature filter media from an established tank. Give me a PM or email and I can help you there, or you are welcome to visit. I am in Faulkland Drive phone if you want 578 9390

Welcome lang,

Caryl is an absolute guru...you're lucky to have her nearby so take full advantage ;) !!!

So what fish would you all recommend that would amuse his 2yr old if goldies are no good? Little fishies might be hard to focus on or follow no? WCMM (in my experience don't really school all that much so would be spread around the tank and sort of get lost amongst the backdrop)

Maybe a siamese fighter? Or maybe 2 fantails would be ok in 65L? Or maybe some of the barbs? How about platies or mollies?

They came around this evening and I am afraid the balls Bud plays with were of more interest :lol: - Not to mention Bud himself, as he was free range at the time.

Lang's wife was very taken with the Hengeli rasboras so are now considering tropical. The tank they have is too small for goldfish and the other options for cold water fish will not keep a 2 yr old's attention I don't think. Lang was also interested in guppies.

Welcome lang,

Caryl is an absolute guru...you're lucky to have her nearby so take full advantage ;) !!!

Sure is! most impressive setup, our young man was finally noticed the "fisssssssh" was there were so many other things to play with on the night.... :lol:

Maybe a siamese fighter? Or maybe 2 fantails would be ok in 65L? Or maybe some of the barbs? How about platies or mollies?

soooooo much to learn, we were looking at goldfish because "that's what ya do" but were so wrong, Caryl suggests tropicals will be fine, so that opens up a whole new world (of tiny fish of course) love the hengelly and still like the guppies, as they seem to be hardy and look great, bright colours and all.

They came around this evening and I am afraid the balls Bud plays with were of more interest :lol: - Not to mention Bud himself, as he was free range at the time.

:oops: what can i say.... the wee man has a thing about "planes" and "fissssssssssssssssh" sheeesh any other day he can spot either at 100 paces :lol: too many distractions like you said me thinks.

Lang's wife was very taken with the Hengeli rasboras so are now considering tropical. The tank they have is too small for goldfish and the other options for cold water fish will not keep a 2 yr old's attention I don't think. Lang was also interested in guppies.

yes you certainly have changed my thinking there.... thanks for the tips, we got the bare tank setup last night and filled only to THEN notice my fingerprints on the INSIDE of the tank, ooops, will drain it and start again.... at least (touch wood) the filter (after a fashion) and lights work and no leaks, so we will source a heater for the tank, run everything for a few days and get back in touch.... again...huge thanks for your help :hail:

Welcome Lang!

I love the fish keeping, I think you and your family will find it to be a great, fun, entertaining, etc. hobby!

You've come to the right spot to get help, people are always eager to help. You are soooooooo lucky living close to Caryl!

When you get a chance post a pic of your tank.

Take care & have fun,

Caper

Conference is in NELSON but is hosted by the combined Tasman and Marlborough Clubs.

thanks for that. is it an "official" type thing or will there be a show of sorts for the public?

thanks

Ian

PS: finally got our tank "started" more gravel, heater in and topped up with water.... on the second attempt mind you... washed the new (darker) gravel well so i thought....but was very murky.... so stripped everything out and started again.... looking good now but what a mission :oops:

Hi All

Welcome to the hobby Lang.

No the conference is in Nelson but I suggest you talk to Caryl and join the Marlborough Club.

thanks for that. and yes looking at joining, everyone has been very helpful, we actually know Caryl from another shared hobby so was great to catch up

:)

Errol President

TASMAN AQUARIUM CLUB

NELSON

:bow:

Here is conference information:

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/conference_2008_and_agm/

It has its official bit but we try to get that done as quickly as possible :lol:

No show, too much to organise at the same time, but there is the possibility of seeing a few of the local club members' tanks.

The gravel murk would have settled overnight :wink:

You won't regret the darker gravel.

Here is conference information:

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/conference_2008_and_agm/

It has its official bit but we try to get that done as quickly as possible :lol:

No show, too much to organise at the same time, but there is the possibility of seeing a few of the local club members' tanks.

Thanks for that... Anne-Marie suggested I should have asked if there was any "ofishal" business....... good grief... :-?

The gravel murk would have settled overnight :wink:

You won't regret the darker gravel.

:oops: oh well it's SUPER clean now :bounce: