How many people have Arowanas or Pacus and how big?

northland chic

i only sell Arowana's to people that know what the fish will grow like and will look after them 100%, the blacks dont grow as big so i tend to sell more of them (when you can get them)

i get at least 1 to 2 phone calls a week asking if i will take pacu's off their hands and i always say no!

but enjoy them , feed them live goldfish, dry food and i do no people that feed them baby mice (i couldnt)

I'm going to start breeding mice for him but my partner (Adam) doesn't think I will feed them to him. I probably won't be able to and really I'm just getting mice because he wouldn't let me have a rat and the arowana is a great excuse. I will make Adam feed him the boy mice as he is the one that wanted the Arowana. No not being sexist I have heard you can only have one boy or they fight. The arowana is not eating yet but the guy we got him off feeds him pilchards and he likes those. I also read I could feed him prawns so maybe try that. As for the Pacu, when we bought the tank he asked if we wanted him. I said yes because otherwise he was going to be knocked on the head. But now after having him for a few days I think he may have to go to fishy heaven. I have seen him nipping at the arowanas fins and at the other fish, also with him in the tank no one else gets anything to eat. So if anyone knows anyone whos wants a black pacu 35cm. We are going to add our silver dollars (there is already 3) which are a little smaller than the ones already in there, so if he nips the others he will nip them. Also have a little green severum I'm not to keen on, so give me a shout if you want it. It is about 15cm long, don't know what sex it is. If someone knows how to tell let me know.

Thanks

Did you buy Richards 7' tank from Northland Pet and Aquarium?? If so take good care of the 3 silver dollars it came with cos they were mine!!

I had a black arowana for a bit over 2 years, before selling my big tank and all the fish in it. I never fed it live foods, as I believe it makes them aggressive and also causes drop-eye (something to do with the high fat content). Try train it to eat pellets, I fed mine Hikari carnivore pellets, Hikari cichlid gold and JBL Arowana pellets. It gets pretty expensive after a while because of their big appetite.

As for the pacu, I'd say the best option would be to knock it on hte head. They are not an aquarium fish unless you have a tank of a few thousand gallons. Here's why....

pacu.jpg

rbpacu02.jpg

Hi David R,

Yip, we did buy Richard's tank. I think we saw you while we were there because Adam & I both heard you say the Silver Dollars used to be yours. You were talking to Richard when we arrived and we watched him feed the dead gourami to the Grouper. Those Silver Dollars are huge, I got mine when they were small and Adam had no idea how big they got until he saws yours. I think the black pacu will have to die. Adam wants to build him a tank but lets face it, it will only be a short term solution. So I think its best to go to fishy heaven. He has been attacking the Arowana, we have watched them charge each other. Also the Arowana is still not eating so we are starting to get a bit worried. Rang Richard today to see what he suggested he said we should find him a live mouse but I'm not a very good mouse catcher, have to hope the cats get one.

• 4 weeks later...