YES! my very first moph

i read they are terrestrial for a year or more then return to the water as adults do they stay aquatic or will they return to land?

i am about to turn the aquarium into a terrestrial one and have a shallow dish or something in there for water should they need it does this sound ok?

also going to be using sand not dirt as not a fan of dirt and paranoid about chemicals ect

I keep them in half water half land. The land is potting mix with fine gravel on top to keep them out of contact with it and grows a well developed miniature fig. The water has driftwood,fine gravel, cardamine lyrata and Hydrocotyle. I feed them mainly in the water but also some fruit flies.I have a small filter and heater in the water but have now turned the heater off as I read they like it cool. I am hoping they will breed next year when about 2 years old.

Please don't make their tank into that much land. They should be in far more water, they will neither grow well or be as happy if kept in this way. My adults have a large area of water, very little land and are rarely out of the water. When they're just morphed they do spend more time out of the water but they should have it fairly deep with driftwood, rocks and plants to climb out on. I get the artificial floating logs for my wee babies and they all climb out on in when they've morphed. T J Thornton wrote an excellent book on these guys which deals with their needs much better than I can. If you haven't got it then your local pet shop can order it in or I can get you a copy, it really is worthwhile.

Alan, your setup sounds great. I found my newts laid eggs at 2 years but there was a much higher fertility rate at 3 years so don't be disappointed if your first year produces lots of eggs and not many babies, persevere as they're amazing to raise. :lol:

cool thanks for that will do the half land half water thing and use dirt but cant find any1 to devide the tank for me don't know to how to use my silicone i tried but failed

at the moment the morph is chilling out on a large rock i have the water very shallow on the rock so as to keep him/her moist also has some fake plants covering the rock to hide in climb on

i have a floating rock i broke the bottom so it will sink not float and they can climb in or out onto the rock and plants as they please