New Tank: Needs Help on Equiptment Brands Etc.

Joelay

Hey Everbody. as i said in the welcome forum, i got the job and therefore i am getting an aquarium.

I found a tank which i am testing for leaks.

Its Dimensions are:

Width = 76cm

Depth = 30cm

Height = 39cm

Volume = 90L or 20Gallons(UK) or 23Gallons(US) or 18,260 Teaspoons

I would like to know who are the best Brands and Models of things like heaters, Filters, Lighting etc.

It will be a planted tank and to begin with i will get a catfish or two, then add some more slowly as the tank finishes cycling.

Any Help welcome.

Thanx

Joel

for your size tank, i would use a HOB filter...penguin bio wheel, acua clear ect.

jagar heaters are pretty much top of the line....but rather expensive. I use via aqua heaters. I recomend getting a fully submergable heater ;)

try get a twin tube fluro light hood. it should give enough light to keep most plants ;)

and a school of corys would look cool...just don't try to start yopur tank with panda corys :D

Hey Everbody. as i said in the welcome forum, i got the job and therefore i am getting an aquarium.

I found a tank which i am testing for leaks.

Its Dimensions are:

Width = 76cm

Depth = 30cm

Height = 39cm

Volume = 90L or 20Gallons(UK) or 23Gallons(US) or 18,260 Teaspoons

I would like to know who are the best Brands and Models of things like heaters, Filters, Lighting etc.

It will be a planted tank and to begin with i will get a catfish or two, then add some more slowly as the tank finishes cycling.

Any Help welcome.

Thanx

Joel

Welcome to fish keeping, Joel

Here's Some prices

150w Aqua One Heater ($ 34.95)

Shark 2 filter (About $60 I think)

Light Hoods - Really expensive in pet shops, Best to look around for 2nd hand ones.

Well the tank's Still here this morning so it hasn't exploded or leaked.

Thanx For the feedback, mostplaces suggested a 100W Heater for 50 -100L Tanks and i figured i'd get a 150W To be on the safe side. was jus worried iit might be a bit much.

I have a hood, its plastic and has a set of clips in which i will remove and replace with a double.

If the price bets too high, for the seperate parts, i am going to get a new tank which comes with everything for £115. then i'll upgrade as i get money. then i can use the old equptment in this old tank and have 2 Tanks :D

(OH-NO....MTS....Kicking...in....Can't....Resist)

usually best to get a slightly over-rated heater for your tanks size - they typically last longer coz its not continually cycling on/off.

errr.... 115 pounds? thats like $350 - best you start using the $ sign :D - or are you actually in england?!

Yeah, it would work less, but cycling is turning on and off, not being on constantly. 50 watts on a tank that needs 100 watts wouldn't cycle at all, it would be on constantly. So would 100 watts. 150 would turn on for a while, then off for a little while, on for a while, off. 200 would be on for half as long, off for the same amount of time. 250 would be on for 1/3rd the time, off for the same amount of time. Uhhh...Anyway, the closer you get to the exact number the longer the heater will be on and the less it will cycle. That being said, I have 300s in all my tanks.:)

usually best to get a slightly over-rated heater for your tanks size - they typically last longer coz its not continually cycling on/off.

errr.... 115 pounds? thats like $350 - best you start using the $ sign :D - or are you actually in england?!

Yes i do live in england and theres a new setup for £115, so i suppose it is about $350 (Rip-off Britan) It comes with a 100L tank i think, maybe a bit more and a filter, Double Lights, Heater, and i think fake plants.

If you'd prefer (You probably Would) I'll try and convert prices to $$$. :D :D :D

I also wanted to say that i will be getting the new tank because i checked the tank properly this morning and it has leaked around the back, so it is now going to house my girlfriend's Tortoise.

I am going to upgrade the heater and stuff slowly probably, i mite try and get a deal in the shop to upgrade the heater.

:D :D :D :D

Hi Joel - surprisingly enough it's NZD here in NZ :D

As for heater - I'd probably opt for the 150W for that size tank. As has been pointed out there are pros and cons for both opinions. Personally I opt for a heater of _slightly_ higher wattage than required. That way it should easily keep the temperature at the set value, but if it does stick on it wont cook your fish as quickly as going overboard with the wattage. As Doc has mentioned going overboard with the wattage means that you also get some temperature extremes when heating.

Hi Joel - surprisingly enough it's NZD here in NZ :D

As for heater - I'd probably opt for the 150W for that size tank. As has been pointed out there are pros and cons for both opinions. Personally I opt for a heater of _slightly_ higher wattage than required. That way it should easily keep the temperature at the set value, but if it does stick on it wont cook your fish as quickly as going overboard with the wattage. As Doc has mentioned going overboard with the wattage means that you also get some temperature extremes when heating.

I thought it would be something like NZD but it wasn't an option on XE.com on the little quick thing so £115 GBP is $334.76 NZD.

About the heater, that was my thoughts too, i figured i shouldn't skimp but i didn't want to go overboard so i figured that 150W would be best. :D

Thanxs For all the help, it has been usefull for finding out different reasons :D.

What are the best heaters??? Who makes them???

:D :D :D :D :D :D