Water temperature

kiwipete

Seems my heater may be playing up, the water temp got up to 31Deg this morning and now it has gone down to 27.1, dropping rapidly over the past hour or so.

I have placed an old on in the tank in the meantime.

What fluctuations will tropicals put up with and what is the optimum temp?

Tank is 90x45x45cm

IMG_8813.jpg

Depends on the types of fish you have. However most community tanks would be kept around 24-26 degrees C. Most fish will addapt reasonably well to temperatures between 20- 28 degrees but it might affect things like breeding. In the wild river temps are never constant but the main thing is to prevent sudden changes which can cause stress leading to outbreaks of disease.

It sounds like your heater has decided to go out with a bang and it's a good thing you noticed. Heaters can last from anywhere between the day you buy it up to years before they decide to quit.

Do you turn it off when you are doing water changes? That could cause it to burn out if you don't.

I didn't see the weather for CHCH today, but is it possible that your tank made it to those temperatures due to the sun.

From the photo it looks like the sun comes in through your venetians onto the tank - this could heat the tank to such temperatures, unless of course you live in Auckland - I have forgotten what sunshine looks like :-?

WOW a tank with venetian blinds! :o :lol:

What have the room temperatures been?

Do others not have venetian blinds in their tanks? :o

The room gets up to 31deg even with windows and ceiling fan on in the heat of the day.

The problem was with my Fluval 150W heater, it has packed a wobbly, sometimes on, sometimes off, but the thermostat is all over the place.

I have another heater in ther for now and the water is hovering around the 27 deg mark.

Im just turning it down the tiniest of a fraction every so often to get the temp down a bit more.