Great Barrier Reef Trip Photos

jamestothemax

Hey all,

I decided to take a few days off while working over here in OZ and take a trip up to Cairns / Port Douglas / Whitsundays and go out to the reef a couple of times.

These photos were taken with an underwater disposable camera so not the best but thought you may liek to see them anyway. They were taken at the agincourt reef out from port douglas and the knuckle reef out from the whitsundays, mainly the agincourt though as it was a bit murky and a strong current at the knuckle, also the agincourt was far more impressive. I scored a guided snorkel tour for half price as well by tellign them I studied marine biology at University : )

reef1.jpg

reef10.jpg

This stuff just went on as a massive field for ages.

reef11.jpg

reef12.jpg

reef13.jpg

reef14.jpg

reef15.jpg

reef16.jpg

reef17.jpg

reef18.jpg

reef19.jpg

reef20.jpg

reef6.jpg

The mandatory anemone photo. I did enjoy the guide on the glass bottom boats story about how if finding nemo was real, nemos dad would just become nemos mum and nemo would become the daddy. Not such a kids film aye

reef8.jpg

reef5.jpg

reef4.jpg

Spot the turtle

reef9.jpg

well there you have it.

hope you enjoyed them. much cooler in real life obviously

Was it the batting of the eyelashes or the showing of a little leg that did it?

Sorry dont know what the yellow curly one is I just liked it also so took a photo of it. some of them missed the thign I was trying to capture as I would dive down and then try and look through the view finder through my mask and by then would have started floating up again.

I would have loved to dive there but the budget just didn't allow for it this trip but hopefull next time. I went out on the tours out to the pontoon and foudn teh one with Quicksilver the best (and it was teh one recommended to me by a lot fo people) but when I go again I think it would be throguh teh same company but on the tour called silver sonic as it is purely diving and snorkelling and you go to multiple spots. Means you dont have the semi- submersibles or glass bottom boats but you also you dont have to deal with all the american tourists who dont even swim.

I've got a heap of similar shots from my trip there about 10 years ago, also taken with a disposable under water camera. The big fish in the first pic with the hump are cool. Its definitely better in real life, we saw a whale shark when we were there! It was just after we'd got out of the water, the guide on the boat said he's only seen them 3-4 times in the 15 years he's been going out there.

awesome. yeah its so much fun out there. I only spent like 20 mins out of the water the whole time we were at the pontoon.

If anyone is going from port douglas I suggest when you get back goign to the pub called "on the inlet" from about 4.45pm. You can get a bucket of prawns and a beer and throw the heads into the fish that are swimming just below you at the waters edge. Then at about 5pm they come and tie all the fish heads from that day to a length of rope and drop it in to feed these MASSSIVE cod that are there. This huge shark swam past right below us when we were there too. Such a good way to end the day.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh and the yellow one, I'm pretty sure it's a yellow sarcophyton, often known as Tongan yellow, or yellow toadstool. It's retracted in that pic but will usually be open with 2 cm or so long polyps.

A very attractive coral and easy to culture, although slow growing by leather standards. Quite a few around here, I have two, although i'm surprised we don't see more of them.

Yeah i have got heaps growing in my tank. I dont frag it as i find after it gets to a certain size it splits. Has also grown the odd little baby out the side. Not enough people down my end with good enough tanks to take it all. It does look awsome in a large cluster though.