Mechanical filtration for sump

David R

I'm making a new tower for the sump for my new 5' tank, I'm going to enlarge the chamber for bio media so some is permanently under water and some is above water with the water flowing over it. I usually just run a single piece of filter wool and change it often, but this tank is going to have some big messy fish (dats, ornates etc) so I'm thinking about running something coarse as a washable pre-filter for the filter wool.

So for those running sumps, how do you have your mechanical filtration set up? Any suggestions?

I have heard that running the water through a standard swimming pool filter cartridge works really well and makes it very easy to clean, not sure how it would go under gravity feed tho.

Another option would be to use a filter sock like they use in milking plants that would catch everything and leave your water really sparkly and clean.

If you were only after a coarse filter id also consider going to a home brew shop, you can get a nice nylon mesh bag for a couple of bucks (they use em to strain out the lumps from home brew wine.

But what do I know, I don't even have a sump :lol:

your could try some of the pond filter pads available as they are intended for coarse filtration. or you could go for something like efhimech which would spread the water evenly over your bio media.

or you could try getting some brushes (like on a broom) to make your own.

come one you guys who actually have sumps!

easy

i find that mechanical filter wool and pre filt er wool foam is really annoying at times,

so what i do, is i bought two heap intrnal filters. jebos, i run them in the sump as a mechanical filtration.

now i have 4 internal filters. 2x jebos, 2x fluval 4s in my sum doing the mechanical filtration, plus the massive water going through them makes bio fitration very good:D untill i got my recentdats problem

my jaridnii tank was always good water quality and i feed them lots, i use dto over feed the jar. never any problemms.

i have not cleaned the internet filters for more than a year. it has weakened slightly but the filtration with some dirt in there is very gooed and lots of bacteria

sounds like all the filtration happens in the sump - both the intake and output are in the sump itself...

I've seen a couple of sumps setup with internals in them for additional filtration which seemed like a good idea.

Henward - If you've got the sump partitioned where/how do you place the filters etc?

pics would be awesome too!

ok my mistake

i also have a canister in this set up

with bio filtration and sponge

so its abit different

i guess with partitions

you cant really beat filter wool

but putting an internal where the filter wool should be should work the same or add to the filter wools efficiency shouldnt it?