Water at Takapuna

wasp

I still saw some bluebottles floating around and I even felt like I got some stings.

Bro you know when a blue bottle tags you :wink: very sore ( grew up on the goldcoast)

As for the concern about using the water I wouldn't worry, skimmer should remove any nasties in the nsw??

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I did get some tiny welts on my arm, but maybe they were from hydroids?

Though still not nice, I'm not too worried about droids for my adult seahorses, but yah, I've heard the bluebottles are way worse, but I'm too chicken to puposely find out for myself!

So I'm still worried if there are any baby BBs in the water. I'm not sure if I should just pitch it & wait for better conditions, or get some special fine filter...

The tank isn't currently set up with a skimmer, just a canister filter & chiller.

Once when i was getting water there were heaps of little fingernail sized jellyfish, i thought they would look pretty cool in the tank so I went home & did a water change straight away to dump some water with the jellyfish into the tank.

But they couldn't handle the current they all got munched by pumps within a very short time. Shame.

Well I read the thread with great interest. Then I went back to the beginning to try and remember what the subject was. :)

The initial topic relates to collection of water at the Takapuna boat ramp but then drifted somewhat to another debate on ASW v NSW. I hope my question will be taken in the context of the original subject matter.

I've been in the marine/reef hobby since 1990. The first decade was in the UK where there wasn't any debate on the collection of water from the sea simply because for most people it was impracticable to get to the shore - least that was the case for me.

I came to NZ in 2000 and must confess to having initially being somewhat surprised at the uptake of sea collected water. But since then I've seen some amazing results first hand with aquarists who have been using NSW; so much so that I'm prepared to dip my toe in the ocean as it were.

(Here's the segue :D ) Now Takapuna boat ramp isn't a viable option for me living in Botany. So is there anyone out there living in East Auckland who collects NSW and if so where?