Hang-on Overflow

JoandWilly

Just wanting to get some info on the hang-on overflows.

First off i need one that keeps the water level no more (ie not 40mm) than 30mm from the top of the tank, from what i can tell the tunze ones water level will be about 80mm from the top of the tank. AquaOne and reef octopus not so sure about. Also any problems with running one? Going on an established tank so drilling not and option.

Here is a link that will give you a good explanation of a weir hang on overflow.

http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/overflow.html

Drilling the tank is the most popular option and there is a reason for that, but a weir type overflow can work if you really want to do it. Note, the weir, is to make the syphon unbreakable. (In theory, anyway).

find nitrates are to hard to keep doing using just water changes, to many fish and feeding to much i suspect.

Your tank looks fairly new, less than a year old?

It can take quite a while for nitrate reduction to really kick in, if it's less than 12 months old I wouldn't panic about nitrates yet.

One thing though, if you are running an external cannister for biological filtration, this will be a large contributer, highly recommend to disconnect it.

Very pretty tank BTW! :D

only have the filter wool there as the only mechanical filtration, no other sponges etc, as of sunday when i get my sump will be removing the cannister and adding an extra 100+ litres to the tank, have got the hang on overflow so will see how it goes, if it doesnt work or floods my floor will get a new tank built with an overflow.