pump question

stuwalters

I want to start a fish room and am looking at a central filtration plan. what i would like to know is there anywhere who sell pumps that auto changes the pressure it pumps out. I was just wondering as when i turn one tank off i don't want higher pressure to be released in the other tanks or is there another way to do it other than gravity. Thanks

yeah, and a central filtration system means that if one gets an amonia spike, all get an amonia spike.

and i recently for the first time discovered that amonia sucks

:D

but, i have seen it done with asian aros, lots of 6 footers connected to one GIANT sump

they were breeders though, all they do all day is change the water and monitor it. so i guess its not so bad

but for just household bourne tanks - could be dangerous.

It would depend on how the filter system worked.

The biggest risk of infection etc is when water from a tank drains into another.

UV sterilizers help but don't always stop the problem - it depends what caused it.

I know that HFF has gone to individual UGFs for all their tanks now to stop cross infection and a lot of other fish shops seem to have individual filters in their tanks.

If you run a central filtration system you run all those risks.. But if you do the right thing ie have seperate q-tine tanks and q-tine all new fish for a couple of months before adding them to the system you shouldn't have problems.

As long as you have a heap of media for bacteria and cycle all the tanks well it shoud be a good system its alot harder for an ammonia spike to reach dangerous levels when you have a couple of thousand litres..

As for your initial question I have no idea how to run it all I have often considered it but have put it into the too hard basket. Could you run some sort of regulator in each return to keep the flows constant regardless of the number of tanks in the system? Or have a bleed off somewhere that goes back into the sump you can adjust to get the flow right..

For the sort of volumes involved, wouldn't a pond sized pump work for out-takes with multiple inlets feeding into the one pump, a massive sump tank or a huge, probably pond-sized filter system with multiple outlets going through some sort of multi-way flow valve? I think the hardest part would probably be measuring and regulating the flow. Volume wouldn't be a problem as pond equipment is already designed to handle volumes of several thousands of litres, the problems would be purely flow control.