The smartest Parrot i have ever seen

smidey

Thats smart. I remember seeing something on TV a couple of years ago where they had an African Grey that could distinguish and identify shapes, colours and textures. It could tell its handler that she was holding "keys" which were "metal" and "hard" then go on to say that the "green" "ball" was "soft" but the "yellow" "square" was "hard". Totally amazing.

Thats smart. I remember seeing something on TV a couple of years ago where they had an African Grey that could distinguish and identify shapes, colours and textures. It could tell its handler that she was holding "keys" which were "metal" and "hard" then go on to say that the "green" "ball" was "soft" but the "yellow" "square" was "hard". Totally amazing.

Yes that parrot was initially bought and used by it's student owner to do her Uni thesis on the parrots ability to use language, but the results were so amazing that she was given a 3 year grant to work full time with the parrot to see how far she could develop it's language.

Ended up with a vocabulary of around 800 words which was enough to have a simple conversation. The parrot demonstrated something that was not known before, that it could talk about things in the past tense, and also talk about things it wanted or hoped would happen, in the future tense. It was put with a younger bird and talked to it in english, teaching the other bird some words, and on one occasion expressing concern when the other bird hurt itself.

Sadly it died a few months ago, it was found dead in it's cage one morning despite it had been fine the day before. This was considered a great loss to the scientists who had been interested in this stuff.

because there are only a handful of breeding pairs in the country.

*edit* oops. I forgot we're not allowed to post links to TradeMe even if its not something we're trying to sell and its related to the topic-at-hand. :roll:

There is a breeding pair of african greys on TradeMe right now for $12k, it shouldn't be hard to find [but I'd better not post the link anyway!] just go to the category 'Birds' and sort by highest price. Seems like a good price to me considering that three chicks would more than pay for the cost. If only I was loaded and had my own place etc....

Heaps of A Grey's in the country. Range in price from a young breeding bird for $4500 to $6k for a hand raise baby and as stated for a true breeding pair around $12k but why wound you sell a breeding pair. There are 2 types of A Grey's available with the less common smaller one costing more depending on availability. A Grey's are like the old man of parrots compared with S cockatoos. Saw a breeding pair yesterday and had a chance to spend some time with the young. These parrots are very smart parrots and require someone that has keep parrots before.