Amonia wont go

henward

Amonia wont go

two big borneos, was doing alot better

andtoday they were lethargic again

and keeps on itching, shuddering and opening and closing its dorsal fin in rapid succesion. kinda like shakings its bodyand itching on gravel

i have changed the water so often - pet store told me that gravel at times absorb amonia so i should test that.

so i got a bunch of gravel, drained water, added fresh water water and stirred it around and left it there to stand then tested it 3 times.

completely amonia free the gravel once you add new water!

so it cant be the gravel.

so as a last ditch attempt, i removed canister and internal which is filled with bio filter media and filter wool. moved it to my jardinii tank which is always 0 amonia

the mved the fx5 from the jardinii to the borneo tank, and put an aerator in. hefully the massive flow and bacteria filled crevace that is the fx5 will sort out the tank wiht water changes.

and at the mean time my smaler fluval and internal fluval 4 can get its bio media filled with good stuff.

but if this doesnt work, here are my questions

1)how long should i wait to see

2) t was suggested that i remove all the water completely, and put competely new water in the tank.

do you think i should just do this now?

or wait?

When I first bought home my pair of Oscars (they were returned to the shop once they got too big for the original owner's tank) I had to change 200 litres a day for three weeks before the tank could handle the bioload. On one hand you need to remove the toxins (ammonia etc), but on the other you end up dumping a lot of good bacteria down the drain at the same time. Just keep changing water - and perhaps put your product in the filter, rather than straight into the tank.

coming on its second week

perhaps they do

but in theory, once you have the right amount of bacteria, if you dont feed too much should be ok

well, ill consider that option i guess

any other ideas?

jsut that, strange when i change the water, 70% water change,the amonia goes up agian immediately hours after.

checked thrice, no external source of amonia

lol yeah you would

ok well ill do daily water changes, well as frequently as i can

even with out feeding, do they just secrete f*cking amonia? and poo and piss?

jeees!

this is new to me, i have never had this problem, i find it very surprising. i have had pacus silver aros etc

general big fish, never!

do you think i should completely change water and start from scratch and put in my nutra zorb to stamp out an amonia spike?

yeah shit it would

well, wha ti done now i put 10 kg of gravel to my jardinii tank.

then after a week ill scoop that up and put it in the borneo tiger tank, to help populate the tank

for now i guess ill just do water changes and use the fx5.

so the end of the day, its all a mater of startin the cycle

and untill then, ill have this problem

they are not eating.

and was suggested that i dont feed either

but why are they itching and doing those funny movements of the fins and body?

the colour is almost undestinguishable with the wide bar, you can barely see he stripes:(

yeah shit it would

well, wha ti done now i put 10 kg of gravel to my jardinii tank.

then after a week ill scoop that up and put it in the borneo tiger tank, to help populate the tank

for now i guess ill just do water changes and use the fx5.

so the end of the day, its all a mater of startin the cycle

and untill then, ill have this problem

they are not eating.

and was suggested that i dont feed either

but why are they itching and doing those funny movements of the fins and body?

the colour is almost undestinguishable with the wide bar, you can barely see he stripes:(

What about something like ammo-lock?

would that buy you some time and spare the fish a little? I know it screws with your test results but if it means the fish would be less stressed could it be an option?

Is there a type of filter media that helps bind ammonia?

yes already got it

was using it, when i recharged it, the water that came off was really dark brown, i assume thats baddies coming off it

i took it out for now, and put my fx5 in there

if that doesnt work, ill just completely change water, put the nutra zorb in there again

to stamp out any amonia from popping up

What about something like ammo-lock?

would that buy you some time and spare the fish a little? I know it screws with your test results but if it means the fish would be less stressed could it be an option?

Is there a type of filter media that helps bind ammonia?

Unfortunately if you use something like that you just remove the food source you need to grow the bacteria, so you just end up delaying the problem.