Firefish (Fire Gobys)

Fmxmatt

Just out of interest, has anyone had a tank with 2 different firefish species in it? I've currently got a Red Firefish (or Fire Goby I think they're called?) But one day would like to also have a purple one (If I can ever find one), but I believe they will fight with their own kind?

Currently the red one has its area of the tank, and only ever leaves its "swimming" area to grab a bit of food, but is right back there within seconds incase it needs to "bolt" into its hole.

Tank is 350 Litres and there are tons of hiding spots etc

im also wondering the same thing I have been offered both and they are one of my favourite fish

I know that the purple ones are carnivores and that the orange ones eat algae and flake etc

and I know they are classed as different species but somehow I dont think it would work but hopefuly there is someone out there that has tried it

know that the purple ones are carnivores and that the orange ones eat algae and flake etc

Both are the same genus and both carnivores.

One of nemateleotris magnifica and Nemateleotris decora should be fine.

Currently have a mixed of both with no issues.

• 2 weeks later...

They seem pretty happy together. They split up when they went into the tank which worried me a bit, but they've managed to find each other overnight so I'm assuming they've got some sort of relationship with each other.

Is there anyway to tell males and females apart?

I liked the colours but I think it took a while to get used to the shape of them - I got into marine because of the coral banded shrimp, flame angel and a couple of the lps corals that John had ..... I believe the CBS and flame angel that I saw were the ones that cONCH ended up with!

Are you going to get another red fire fish?