dat behavoiur and comparison with other peoples dats

henward

Just wondeing, with all who has a dat, big or small

i have a indo, wide bar, and a american silver dat.

the silver dat is small, 2.5 or so inches

the others are huge

funy, behavoiur seems to be consistent.

when its hungry, its more active, swimming around, sometimes even following your fingersl ike most fish do.

when you drop the food, they come up quick to snatch it up.

they stay there wating for more untill full.

when they are satisfied, they tend to go to their favourite corner, or hidy place. and seemingly becomes very inactive.

is this what you guys find? i mean the aro swims constntly, sharks, and stuff like that, generally roam all the time.

but like the clown knives.... dats , my 3 dats seem to be lazy once eaten... any feedback from anyone?

also, got two dats in one tank, the two big ones, the indo, is now eating like a maniac! i mean last night ate 2 pieces today ate more than 7 pieces of beef heart.

but the wide bar isnt, it is interested but isnt taking a bite. but oth are in the same tank.

some say it takes days sometimes weeks for big fish to settle in, do dats settle in longer than others?

so what im seeing is normal then

the indo , 30 cms minimum, is eating like crazy~!

but the wide bar, not so much, but more active than the indo... really bizzare, its kinda cool trying to decode their behaviour. the american tiger, is also most active in my collection of dats. but small and also hides after feeding and isnt active.

any one else wiht feedback?

sounds like its normal what im seeing but i like a peace of mind lol

my wide bars colours were not as bright as when it was in the pick up point prior tome taking it. so i guess its not stable yet

strange

two big dats, one seems normal

the wide bar, seems like once in a while, actually quite frequently, but not constant, it seems that it swimns on its side, seemingly wanting t rub its side of the body on the gravel, similar to dogs rolling around on grass,

i havent seen this before.

it does it both sides, which ever it feels i guess is convinient for it. it it swims sideways accross the ground and back up.

does anyone know what this is?

one of the big dats, seemingly has eated my geophagus, it was about 5 to 7 cms long.

i believe the wide bar, the one not eating is the one that consumed the geo.

perhaps its not eating cos of that? do they get indigestion? hard bits of the fishperhaps?

its a funny one, it seems like its fins and tail twitches. it doesnt look sick, just not eating and colour is screwed up

holy shiznit!

i looked at it again, became worse, in fact, swimming became less, and it was itching and itching, more frequently.

i rang pet store.

gave me options, amonia and water quality somethings wrong, or a disease....

if water is bad, it would lose its slime, and get disease

i found bits of slime coating floating and when i looked very closely, i saw slime falling off it

tested water... ( i didnt test water cos every other fish seemed totally fine)

the amonia was at the highest colour about 5 or 6!!! holy crappp!!!!!

all my otehr tanks had 0 amonia, so i changed the water 5 times and did a 80% water change

and instantly the fish starts to swim more lively! after the 3rd water change.

dropped the amonia to to less than 1, i put some amonia neutralisers and put one of my canisters well cycled into the tank as it only had two internals.

i also put melafix.

mark, i tell ya

i was s*it scared

i have never had a problem with water. i had such a system where i have never faced such problems.

i was legitimately worried... though i guess as david said, i have no problem with eating, it obviously ate my geo:D

but yeah, now i know what to look for. it was weird though, the other dat was eating like crazy, the silver dollars and parrot fish wre also eating fine.

i thought he choked on the geo phagus....