?? information needed on breeding

booger

i have got the following fish pregnant. (not me personally 8) )

2 x platys

1 x sword fish

1 x albino kribensis

1 x guppy

i know these fish are live bearers, so that means that they will have babies right? and they have their eggs fertalised inside them, if they arent fertalised what happens? how would you know if they have been fertalised or not?

also what is spawning?

how does the tank need to be set up?

do they need the man in the tank with them?

could someone explain to me the process of getting livebearers to breed please any information will be great. cheers susan

These fish have eggs inside them. If they are fertilised they grow and the fish gives birth (or spawns) to fry.

If they do not get fertilised then nothing happens. Like humans, we have eggs inside us too but nothing happens if they don't get fertilised. :wink:

You will know if the fish has been fertilised as she will get fatter and fatter.

A tank with lots of fine leaved plants for the newborn fry to hide in is required as most livebearers are also happy to eat the fry as fast as they are born. What they miss, the other inhabitants go for.

Livebearers not only don't need the male kept with them, they then don't need the male for the next 3 - 4 months as they can store the sperm and produce then next 3 or 4 batches on their own.

To get livebearers to breed you need 1 male to 2 or more females and leave them to it. They will know what to do 8)

Depending on temperature, livebearers will produce new babies (spawn) every 4 - 6 weeks.

thanks for that caryl.

so i can take the males out the tank? does the female look after the fry?

all my preggy fish have extremely large bellys i wasnt sure whether they were full of eggs or babies??

i'm new at this can ya tell :oops:

what would be the right temperature for preggy fish to keep having babies?

i have an undergravel filter and i also have an airstone in the tank should i turn it off would it interrupt the water to much?

You don't have to take the males out. All the fish will eat the fry and the females do not look after them at all. From birth it is every fry for itself!

Temperature can be anything from 22 - 27. 25 is usually the norm.

Leave the airstone as it will not hurt the fry or upset them.

Just a note that the Kribensis aren't livebearers - the females will lay eggs in a cave like structure, the male will come along after her and fertilise the eggs. Both parents will defend the eggs and fry once they've hatched.