February 8, 200818 yr comment_212532 Hey, My two angels, after breeding once on the 11th of december, have completely stopped. They don't fight, there's no other fish in the tank and they occasionally do their 'sex dance' (i.e. 'kissing' on the chin, chasing each other round the tank) but still no eggs or babies... The tank is running at 27 degrees, with at least 30% water changes weekly. Any ideas as to why my angels are 'broken'?? thanks for all the advice Report
February 8, 200818 yr Author comment_212636 bump... maybe my angels need marrige counseling... :lol: Report
February 8, 200818 yr Author comment_212654 yup, only about three were infertile out of easily 200 Report
February 8, 200818 yr comment_212675 the tank might a a degree or two warm but smetimes they need a few tries before they get it right , just give them time Report
February 8, 200818 yr comment_212684 if they are still young they will not give up , maybe just taking a time out Report
February 8, 200818 yr Author comment_212685 oh.... ok. i have tried lowering the temp, but it goes straight to like, 22 degrees... Report
February 8, 200818 yr comment_212694 if your heater goes stright from 27 to 22 with the smallest of alteration i'd buy a better heater you can adjust Report
February 8, 200818 yr comment_212708 any heaters that you would reckomend?? any good quality heater should adjust by 1-2 degrees no problem . BTW all the effort is worth it , this is my angels at the momment and its always cool to see them with babies Report
February 8, 200818 yr Author comment_212714 my current heater is a MasterPet RH9900, 200w... any comments?? Report
February 8, 200818 yr comment_212716 my current heater is a MasterPet RH9900, 200w... any comments??''it should be OK maybe you just have a faulty one ? Report
February 8, 200818 yr Author comment_212717 maybe, will ride down to the pet shop(s) tomorrow p.s. (you may want to check you PMs) Report
February 26, 200818 yr comment_216706 Hi All I think I can honestly say without any fear of contradiction, that I breed more angels than anyone else in NZ. :roll: I continually breed, Pterophyllum Altum's; "Silver" scalare, "Black" scalare, "Marble" scalare, "Koi" scalare, "Gold" scalare, "Blushing" scalare, "Pearl Scale" scalare, and now that I have them: the latest "Zebra" Leopoldi. They are very funny creatures who have minds of their own; and also a great personality. You can breed them every ten to twelve days for ages without any hesitation, but for some silly reason only known to them, they stop dead for a while. They will start again when they are ready so dont try forcing them; it only leads to arguments in the tank. Good luck. By they way I am taking orders for the first offspring of the "leopoldi" and some "Altum's" now. :lol: Some of these will possibly be available to members attending conference in Nelson. Report
February 26, 200818 yr Author comment_216754 Thanks, will have to just wait... but ATM my boy is a bit sick... swolen belly :roll: and the girl seems keen... Cheers, George Report
February 26, 200818 yr Author comment_216778 would you ship any of the koi, altums or Zebras? sorry, but this is in the 'general breeding' forum... if you want to talk to AMAZONIAN about buying/selling angels, please pm him, not discuss it on my thread that I set up wanting advice about my angels... Report
February 26, 200818 yr comment_216882 Thanks, will have to just wait... but ATM my boy is a bit sick... swolen belly :roll: and the girl seems keen... Cheers, George Hi George Just make sure that your boy is not suffering from a medical condition. Swollen bellies can mean many different things. Try feeding him a goodly amount of daphnia for a few days as it's laxative properties may work, or the "Live Food" may just be the tonic he needs. Mossie wrigglers are not laxative, so go with the daphnia. You could also try adding some "Sea Salt" to his tank as well, that's another "Old Time Remedy" for a lot of ills. Good luck. Report
February 26, 200818 yr Author comment_216910 Thanks, but how should I go about getting some?? Any of the ideas on here http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/axolotls-need-daphnia-bloodworms-live-vt28171.html apeal to you?? Also, I am going down to the LFS today, because I need more fish food, anything else I should look out for?? I was told bloodworms. Cheers, George Report
February 26, 200818 yr comment_216946 Hi All Yes, bloodworms are excellent. I use them to condition my breeding angels, but:.....They are NO SUBSTITUTE for "LIVE FOOD" LIVE FOOD has more value and is worth ten times the cost of medications and "DRIED" packet food. Frozen Daphnia and Tubifex, as well as Blood worms are good as well. Good Luck Report
February 27, 200818 yr Author comment_217009 Awesome, thanks for that. So what should I do to get daphnia-do I need to buy a colony or what?? Cheers, George Report
February 27, 200818 yr Author comment_217020 Hey, Just got back from the LFS and now have fish food and... ...lady talked me into it, was that a smart move?? Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.