Angel Problems

georgeous

Hey,

My two angels, after breeding once on the 11th of december, have completely stopped. They don't fight, there's no other fish in the tank and they occasionally do their 'sex dance' (i.e. 'kissing' on the chin, chasing each other round the tank) but still no eggs or babies...

The tank is running at 27 degrees, with at least 30% water changes weekly.

Any ideas as to why my angels are 'broken'??

thanks for all the advice :hail::hail::bow::bow:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

I think I can honestly say without any fear of contradiction, that I breed more angels than anyone else in NZ. :roll:

I continually breed, Pterophyllum Altum's; "Silver" scalare, "Black" scalare, "Marble" scalare, "Koi" scalare, "Gold" scalare, "Blushing" scalare,

"Pearl Scale" scalare, and now that I have them: the latest "Zebra" Leopoldi.

They are very funny creatures who have minds of their own; and also a great personality.

You can breed them every ten to twelve days for ages without any hesitation, but for some silly reason only known to them, they stop dead for a while.

They will start again when they are ready so dont try forcing them; it only leads to arguments in the tank.

Good luck.

By they way I am taking orders for the first offspring of the "leopoldi" and some "Altum's" now. :lol:

Some of these will possibly be available to members attending conference in Nelson. :wink:

:bow:

Thanks, will have to just wait... but ATM my boy is a bit sick... swolen belly :roll:

and the girl seems keen...

Cheers,

George

Hi George

Just make sure that your boy is not suffering from a medical condition.

Swollen bellies can mean many different things.

Try feeding him a goodly amount of daphnia for a few days as it's laxative properties may work, or the "Live Food" may just be the tonic he needs.

Mossie wrigglers are not laxative, so go with the daphnia.

You could also try adding some "Sea Salt" to his tank as well, that's another "Old Time Remedy" for a lot of ills.

Good luck.

Thanks, but how should I go about getting some??

Any of the ideas on here http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/axolotls-need-daphnia-bloodworms-live-vt28171.html apeal to you??

Also, I am going down to the LFS today, because I need more fish food, anything else I should look out for?? I was told bloodworms.

Cheers,

George

Hi All

Yes, bloodworms are excellent.

I use them to condition my breeding angels, but:.....They are NO SUBSTITUTE for "LIVE FOOD"

LIVE FOOD has more value and is worth ten times the cost of medications and "DRIED" packet food.

Frozen Daphnia and Tubifex, as well as Blood worms are good as well.

Good Luck