Tank background

fattythecatty

Can anyone tell me where to get plain backing for my tank. All I can find locally is the plant covered one. Did really blue but black would do. Cheers

You can buy just blue or just black, but the easiest way is to paint the back of your tank (on the outside). Good idea to do it before its set up though.

What I do for all of my tanks is get a piece of polystyrene the same size as the back of the tank, paint that black and then tape it in place.

Has the benefits of you being able to slide it in behind the tank even if the tank is already in place and you get a bit of insulation on the back of the tank. Also, if at some stage in the future you want to change the colour of the background you don't have to scrape a whole lot of paint off the back of the tank.

Just remember to use a water based paint (the other type will probably dissolve the polystyrene).

You can get a agood effect with tinfoil. Measure it to fit plus a smidgen more. Scrunch it up to make it crinkly. Smooth it back out again so it now has a crinkled effect all over but is flat. Spray paint blue. Dry. Attach to back of tank (outside)

My new background sounds like what you want - eighteen inch height, has black on one side and blue on the other, and is slightly different shades of blue from top to bottom. It is the same sort of thing as the ones with plants on - maybe ring around petshops and see who stocks it.

Good luck,

Sam