Additional filter media

Kelsta

Hi, I hope this is the right section to post this in - alhough it's not exactly DIY...

I have a biological filter, with filter wool, then a layer of ceramic tubes. I wanted to add something else for filtering as well as the filter wool to catch the bits of debris (I have messy goldfish), but wanted some suggestions as to what's out there or what people have found good. I thought I'd look for a sponge type thing, or even maybe someting like a seive, but with smaller holes?

Yes, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of - one layer of normal wool, and then something else a bit finer - preferably something that can be washed and re-used for a very long time. I'll go and have a look at my LFS tonight. If it works well for you that's what I was hoping to hear. Hopefully they've got lots to choose from at the LFS. We were given some basic filter wool when setting up a year ago, and never thought to try or add anything else.

Yes, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of - one layer of normal wool, and then something else a bit finer - preferably something that can be washed and re-used for a very long time. I'll go and have a look at my LFS tonight. If it works well for you that's what I was hoping to hear. Hopefully they've got lots to choose from at the LFS. We were given some basic filter wool when setting up a year ago, and never thought to try or add anything else.

Unfortunately 'very fine' and 'last a long time' tend not to go together, especially if you want to maintain flow. The problem with very fine filter membranes is that they can clog easily and stop your pump. There are some products made by the likes of JBL which are a little bit like felt, but they aren't very reuseable. I'd try some good quality 'normal' wool - the cheap stuff collapses and lets crud around the side.

• 3 weeks later...

I am using on my trickle filter setup "green stuff" this is polyester material used instead of pink batts in building. its way too thick so just peel off layers. one 500mm square offcut will last for years! My african cichlids make heaps of waste and this stuff does not curl up like the white poly wool when it gets dirty. However if you add up how much your fish cost , why risk harming or even killing them just to save a few dollars on filter materials? Look after the water,, the fish will look after themselves.