Breeding Leleupi

callum

hey guys

I just thought I'd share how i've started breeding these fish with good success.

First I bought a couple of juveniles a while ago (thanks Andrew) and then some additional adults (thanks Ryan) and as they reached around 6cm a pair bonded and they would keep spawning , but I'd never see any babies. So I put them in a three foot by themselves

and a week later they spawned in the flower pot. But once again the parents ate the eggs.

So the next time they spawned, I took the eggs away from them and hatched them myself with an airstone in a bare bottom tank and in a couple of days they were wrigglers. A day or two later they were free swimming and were eating brine shrimp very eagerly. Around a month later they reached 8mm (slow growers) and were enjoying newley free swimming jewel cichlid fry (easily bred live food).

From then on I put them in a two foot tank with fine sand and some coral and in a couple of days their colour changed from a plane brownish to an intense yellow.

Only a handfull have made it in the tank with the adults, breeding naturally. So now every third or so time the pair spawn I just repeat the proccess and now I have hundreds of the little buggers from 3mm to 4cm.

here are some pics

parents spawning

S6300320.jpg

S6300313.jpg

newly hatched fry

S6300429.jpg

Free swimming fry one week old

S6304165.jpg

4cm juveniles around 4 months old

S6304225.jpg

S6304223.jpg

cheers

I think he meant 8mm :)

Im glad you got them breeding the ones you got off me showed no signs at all.. But I think I might have had 5 of the same sex, I might have to get some more back off you at some stage, did you ever manage to find any of the orange/red ones?

Yea the ones i got off you were all males and out of the ones I got off Andrew I only got one female, and yea I managed to find somebody breeding the Orange ones.

Doch

they should start breeding by aroung a year and a half old.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...