Another Nitrate Question

Wazza

I know this must have been answered before, but I can't find a post about safety levels.

200l tank ph = 7.0 no ammonia, no nitrites, temp=26.5, 20% water change each week. And has filtering of 1400l / hour.

Just got a nitrate test kit today, it reads between 10 and 20 ppm. Another post recently says that 80ppm is dangerous. I know that 0ppm is perferred but what is tipically the safety margin with nitrates? At what stage do I need to panic. Next water change is Saturday.

Thanks in advance.

The information sheet with my nitrate test kit says...

Nitrate level of 20 - 30ppm is sufficient for most routine maintenance. Levels should be kept below 20ppm for critical work such as breeding. Levels above 30ppm indicate the need for more frequent water changes.

I always thought it best to keep below 20ppm.

Thanks Caryl, wont panic at this stage then. The kit I purchased just tells me how to test, not alot more. Perhapes you can recommend a good book / guide that is designed for young players that gives information such as safety levels and when to panic and when not too.

I have heaps of techical info and Pegasus's site is great but apart from in here there seams to be a lack of "don't let you tank go over this level... but is safe between these levels". If you know what I mean.