Downright nasty!!! Any suggestions?

Batman

Bloody Betta.

Okay, here's the story.

I bought 6 brand spankin' new Clown Loaches (about 3.5 - 4cm long) and a ton of plants, all in preparation for the delivery of my 330L (90G) tank the weekend just gone. Then I'm then notified by the aquarium place is still having there are still having "supplier problems" from the business that is staining my cabinet for them, and it now won't be delivered until next weekend.

I put the Clowns in the 20L temp tank I have that I had my Betta in - as originally planned, but since the new tank wasn't going to arrive, I had to leave him in with them. To the setup I added a really big and a smaller piece of driftwood and all the plants. I had read that this should not be a problem, since the clowns look nothing like a betta. Seems he has other ideas, in his little mind, he feels that they look exactly[/b like other male bettas.

Anyway, as soon as I added all the plants (it had been bare except for the heater, sponge filter and a couple of big rocks I took out to put the driftwood in) Chocolate Factory started increasing his bubble nest from about the size of a five-cent piece, to like the size of a couple of golf balls - which is good I suppose.

All along though he keeps incessantly chasing the clowns all over the place. I can't see much of it, appart from the occasional flash of orange and black followed closely by the purple marauder. Then he reappears to add a few more bubbles to his nest then goes on the warpath again. He also hasn't eaten anything since this whole thing started.

What I have to ask is this - as long as the tank does arrive this weekend (five or six more days,) is this going to be a problem? The tank is currently heated to 27 degrees, so I'd prefer not to move him own bowl as it is winter now in Brisbane and the temps are getting down to 10 - 15 degrees Celsius overnight - and just mid twenties during the day (I wouldn't have a heater small enough to fit bowls.)

The loaches don't really seem to mind overly much - a couple of them even come to just under the nest until he shoots after them again. He's not quite quick enough to catch them - until they swim into a dead-end that is. But even when they do, he has to pull up anyway, so they still have time to swim off. Besides, they eat all that I've put in the tank for them - and I know it's them, 'cause he won't touch the stuff I've left for them to come and get. Also, when he's off pestering one of the others, they seem fairly content swimming around "vacuuming."

The thing I'm worried about is that I have been at home most of the time and the once or twice that he has gotten on top of one, I've been able to break it up, but from tomorrow 'til Friday will be work day (today's a Public Holiday in God's own country.)

Also, to stop any screams about the size of the container - water chemistry hasn't changed since this started.

Can anyone suggest anything other than moving him, or should all be well?

I don't think anyone will be hurt by it. I'd say the fighter is being a bit more agressive than usual because he might be feeling horny and frustrated.;) But the clown loaches would probably enjoy being chased.:) Just look occasionally and if some of the fish start getting nips taken out of their fins, then worry. Should be ok for a week.

I think he may just be defending his territory and as there is only one of him and several of the others, it should not be a problem. If you want to separate the Betta, put him in a square plastic container and float it in the main tank. It will keep its temperature without the need for another heater. I use those 'critter keepers' to separate fish when necessary. A clothes peg will anchor it to the side of the tank if it has a tendency to move with the current. You can float him in a preserving jar (or similar) too and make a wire ring around the neck of the jar which then has a 'handle' which sticks out one side and folds over the edge of the tank to keep it afloat.

I actually decided to use a 20cm net hungover the side to seperate them in the end. For a while, whenever they swam under him he'd flare, but he's settled down now. Also, I feel much more ease leaving home for work. I'd prefer him to hav free range though.

Another question, is he likely to repeat this performance when he ends up sharing my soon to be deliverd 330L tank with about 30 other residents?

Probably not. 20L is a very small space. Once in a larger tank the loaches and other fish will have heaps of room (until they get 200mm+ long). It sounds like it is the small space causing all the activity.

Your loaches better get used to the small tank. You're not going to be able to put them into the new 330L for 2-3 weeks after you get it anyway. If you do you run the risk of stressing the loaches. You do know the common name for Clown Loach don't you, - 'White-Spot Magnet'.

Because they are scaleless any toxins (ammonia and nitrite) effect them more as they can be directly absorbed through the skin as well as impeading gill function. You'll need to make sure the Nitrogen Cycle is well finished before putting in the loaches.