Breeding gouramis

MATT78

• 2 weeks later...

I have just breed dwarfs about four weeks ago, for the first time. They are doing well. I found haveing inforesoria and micro worms a must and on tap.Keeping tank coved in glad wrap.,One thing i did wrong was not haveing another tank ready. They grow at different rate, so the bigger one need to be taking out, otherwise they eat the small ones.Now also giving a speck of crush flakes.Good luck in breeding them. Hope this helps

have managed to get mine to spawn , NO bubble nest! . came in one morning to feed the parents and all the eggs were floating on the top of the water. so i whipped the parents out and in two days they were free swimming. its hard to tell how many fry there are cos they are very tiny , maybe 2mm long. i had over 100 eggs so if i lose 75 % im still doing well. the person that put glad wrap over the tank , sounds like a cunning idea :bow: i have read that after day 10 you need to keep the cold air out because thats when they develop enuff to be able to breath at the surface.

will keep you posted on events

Hi the glad wrapp is great, i put a little hole in it, so i can feed with dropper. My bigger babies from same batch are a bit of a problem as no tank set up for them. so when they get bigger than guppy babies they are put with them. three have gone in so far and two. days have past and they are fine. HERE HOPEING long way to go yet

• 2 weeks later...

Have had another succesfull spawn(larger than last)

But same thing although this time they got to 2 weeks old and now cam only count 12 when there was at least 150/200 they just seemto vanish. Have used the gladwrap this time and they where doing really well.

They just seem to vanish over 2 nights.

Any thoughts.

Have had another succesfull spawn(larger than last)

But same thing although this time they got to 2 weeks old and now cam only count 12 when there was at least 150/200 they just seemto vanish. Have used the gladwrap this time and they where doing really well.

They just seem to vanish over 2 nights.

Any thoughts.

Hi are you feeding inforsorea.As they are so small i kept them on this for a while.Im still feeding it out,plus micro worms, water fleas and egg yolk. crushed flake.Dont over do the egg yolk or flake.Dont interfare to much with them.I done a small water change at about three weeks, useing an air line tube.Iremoved half a soup bowl of water at same time some dirt from bottem.You will lose some.I thought i had lost heaps,but Mitzy found them up top in plants.Mumzy50

Have been feeding liqiud fry food and other than that have been leaving them alone.

Have got some fake plants in a corner of the tank and some gravel as well, Do you suggest some floating plants?

Also been running a sponge filter.

Hi Matt im new to breeding dwarf gouramis to, i think you should remove your gravel.Put floating plants in tank,you dont have to cover the whole tank with them.Sponge filter is fine.I have mine just sending up a few bubbles.I turned it up a little as they got older.I think inforsora is the anwser as will.Maybe you should start up a culture.While you get that going, feed the breeders up so there ready.Good Luck Mumzy50

• 2 weeks later...

Have removed the gravel as suggested and left the plants floating yet the same thing has hapened and now theres no fry left.

And worse yet checked the main tank last to find 1 of the females doing the back stroke, so now I've only got the 1 female left.

Hi first your female.try a water change and up your temp.I am finding the temps are dropping as it gets colder in morning.gouramis can handle higher temps.The only thing i can think of is they are eating them.Take mum out as soon as she has finished.Take dad out next day before free swimming,i dont know how that will work,never tried it.But if your water level is low,it might be worth a try.Good Luck.

Hi Matt seems like you are doing every thing right.Hard one,just keep trying,it happens to us all at some stage.Try some thing different for a while to cheer your self up.What happened with your female that was swimming backwards,did she come right.