Adjusting PH level.

Dixon1990

If you want soft acid water then the easiest way is to collect rainwater. In the city it is generally contaminated with sulphur dioxide which will make the water acid. The other way is to add an acid such as hydrochloric (available from bunnings etc as it is used as a soldering flux) If you use the latter you will be very busy chasing the pH as it will probably not stay stable.

Thanks for the answers. I think the driftwood sound like the best way right now. Im planning on keeping quite a few tetras and bolivian Rams and i have read they like PH level of 6-7.I have heard of peat being used for lowering PH

Would this work?

there are many ways of lowering it but i wouldn't be to worried about it. in this case i would add driftwood & i think it would lower it to around 7.2 or so. the fish will be fine in that, my community with angels, tetras was at 7.4 & they did very well for the year or so i had them.

If you want soft acid water then the easiest way is to collect rainwater. In the city it is generally contaminated with sulphur dioxide which will make the water acid

Not much chance of getting any amount of rainwater this time of year. I am wanting rain water too, to try an trigger a spawning.

Peat and driftwood will both tend to lower the pH gradually. The idea is the same with both, acidic tannins leach into the water and gradually change the pH. Better for the fish that this happens gradually rather than dosing with chemicals and changing it suddenly.

Using a small bag of peat in your filter you can adjust the amount to balance your water changes and still keep the pH fairly stable.

Remember pH will also tend to fall over time due to the Nitrates, so the tank should be slightly lower than the tap water anyway.

Like the Alan suggests a rainwater barrel fitted to one of the house downpipes will generally catch plenty of nice soft water. With a decent barrel you will have enough for several water changes even after a short shower. If some mozzie wrigglers appear in it... bonus live food :wink:

Cheers

Ian