getting rid of snails

Smax

Start keeping loaches :wink:

Seriously, loaches natural food is snails. It's not the answer for everyone, but it's a good option for many tanks. There are several species of loaches that grow to various sizes, so you can keep a group of them in most tanks.

Otherwise, set up a snail trap thats baited with veges and catch them that way (and give them to someone that has loaches :D )

Ian

clown loaches got rid of my snail infestation. when i cleaned my canister i found more snails which i tipped back into the tank. 30 mins & they were gone never to see them again.

if you have ever heard a "crack" sound, like a small stone hitting the glass, thats the clown loaches crushing something in their mouth.

I've kept loaches and they never done a thing so know I take my fish out of the tank and use a chemical and its worked best.

What kink of loaches?

I've never had a snail problem in any tank thats had a clown loach in it. In fact I'd take snails home from the LFS to feed them. There must have been a small population living in my canister filter (been running for about 5 years) because I put it on a tank with no loaches and in a couple of weeks there were snails everywhere!

the spines sit under each eye. All loaches have them. They use them for defence and communication (by clicking them). When erected they curve out to each side like boar's tusks. In a school of loaches you often hear them clacking their spines as they interact with each other, and yes it often does sound like glass cracking!

the spines sit under each eye. All loaches have them. They use them for defence and communication (by clicking them). When erected they curve out to each side like boar's tusks. In a school of loaches you often hear them clacking their spines as they interact with each other, and yes it often does sound like glass cracking!

interesting, as i said i saw mine crush a snail at the same time as the "click".

I'm not sure how the spines connect in the jaw (I have a Pakistani loach skull somewhere but I'm not sure where at the moment). Its possible the base of the spines are used in crushing snail shells, or it could just be they click the spines at the same time as crunching the shell with their teeth

I've got three skunk loaches and they dealt to the snail explosion I had in my tank. when I do my water changes I often stick the siphon into a hard to reach area and have heaps of emplty snail shells swirl up - finally found out where they are hiding the bodies - loach mafia!!

I thought the clicking was them eating snails as well - I read that they make that sound when they are interacting and it lets them settle the groups hierarchy without actually getting physical and risk getting hurt.

Seems Zebra loaches are the loach least likely to get nippy (other than Clowns but they get big) but if you have a group they seem to play together and leave other fish alone.