New tank: prep before set up

Cheesejawa

I have purchesed a new tank finally from inside oceans on trademe. It is 76x38x38 so thats ruffly 110 litres. I have a few quick questions before the actual glass tank is here today and the stand is built in the week end (hopefully). Heres a run through of the set up

Set up

filter: aqua one internal 104f

http://www.petplanet.co.nz/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=135&=SID

heater: aqua one 200watt

http://www.petplanet.co.nz/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=3&=SID

Lighting: again aqua one 61cm 2x20 watt light hood

http://www.petplanet.co.nz/shopping/pgm ... d=137&=SID

does this sound good to you and does anyone have any personal experience with these products.

for substrate im going to "borrow" some nice grey round pepple like gravel from the local park. I do not want to have that yellowly white coloured gravel that you buy in pet shops or the dyed fluero stuff. I do not know that type of stone it is. Do you think this would be safe for a fish tank? Also Im planning on doing plants so do you think I need a fert? because petplanet did n ot have it in stock so i didnt buy it then.

Fish

for fish I was think down the angels, tetras and cories path.

Im was planning on cycling the tank with my 2 danios from the other tank and 5 or so black phantoms.

heres my final stocking plan

2 angel fish scarlae probably

6-10 black phantom tetras

5-6 sterbai or peppered cories

and maybe 2 smaller peacefull cichlids if they can fit eg. kribs, rams, keyholes.

Does this sound like a good stocking plan?

Plants

maybe some of trademe at the start and just add as I go

i would like though

Hygro ploysperma: back ground

Ludwiga repens: edges

Jave fern (Microsorum pteropus): on rocks

dwarf sag (Sagittaria subulata): foreground

I thinks that all I have to cover so can people please tell if my tank plann sounds ok?

99% that the 'found' pebbles will be fine. I dont think you have limestone formations in the Queenstown area, and they wont truck park pebbles very far ;)

If you want to make sure, drip a bit of vinegar on some. If they fizz, dont use them, if nothing happens they are just rocks and should be fine.

If you run your filter for a while in the established tank, or swap some media from the established filter, if possible, it will greatly speed up that first stage of cycling.

Otherwise it sounds like you have a good plan :D

Cheers

Ian

yup I will put some of the filter wool from my other tank to help cycle it?

oh and I forgot to ask before, The filter only came with black sponge pads in each chamber should I replace one with other media?

Yup the used filter wool will have a population of bacteria, so that will help seed the new tank.

I just run the original sponges in my big aquaone internal, they seem to work OK. The sponges do function as biological media, just not as well as ceramic noodles etc.

Only thing with those Aquaone internals is they dont have a lot of media, they make up for it by moving a LOT of water. I have a 103F in my 4ft tank, and even though it's technically too small for the tank, it moves a LOT of water around. I had it in an 80l hex tank and it started making the guppys dizzy :lol:

Cheers

Ian