Look what I just got!!

yarimochi

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomorrow is blue jack dempsey purchasing day!

:roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm not so sure about them being fine with oscars, from what I've heard they lack some of the aggression of the normal JD.

That one looks like it could be an arowana/bichir snack very soon if it doesn't grow fast. Maybe its just the photos...

WOW!! Thats a beautiful fish, hope mine'll be like that one day. He ate a mosquito fish today which I found in a stream. Is there any risk of disease with these fish?? And no, he is definetely too big to fit it the mouth of any arowana of bichir at their current size. And being around 25cm in the future I am pretty sure he is going to be fine. And he was bought from a tank with two oscars so he is also oscar safe.

Cool website, now Im completely unsure as to what they are: hybrid or recessive allele, oh well. Still beautiful. Im also stilll unsure regarding the date when I pick up my Asian arowana... Water is stil slightly cloudy which is really starting to get to me. WHY IS IT STILL CLOUDY!? Is it that TLC stuff? My ammonia and nitrites are all 0 or very very close to it and my pH is around 6.5-7. I dont think Ill be getting anymore spikes with that so Im feeling a little more confident about picking him up. What do y'all think.

Cool website, now Im completely unsure as to what they are: hybrid or recessive allele, oh well. Still beautiful. Im also stilll unsure regarding the date when I pick up my Asian arowana... Water is stil slightly cloudy which is really starting to get to me. WHY IS IT STILL CLOUDY!? Is it that TLC stuff? My ammonia and nitrites are all 0 or very very close to it and my pH is around 6.5-7. I dont think Ill be getting anymore spikes with that so Im feeling a little more confident about picking him up. What do y'all think.

If you're really worried about clarity buy some jbl clear mec or my personal favorite sechem's purigen. The latter can be recharged once it's exhusted.

Isn't that treating the symptom and not the cause?

If you're really worried about it then don't pick the fish up. No chemical can make up for time when it comes to cycling/establishing a tank.

Depends, If his cycle is finished and all he's worried about is turbity a polisher is treating the problem. Clermec and Purigen are not chemicals either they are resins that act like carbon but are more targeted, ie they won't remove things like iron which is useful for plants. They also last a lot longer than carbon. Clear mec will last several months and purigen can be used again and again after recharging with bleech and ph buffer.

Clermec and Purigen are not chemicals

Anything not naturally found in the water is a chemical.

purigen can be used again and again after recharging with bleech and ph buffer.

And bleach and pH buffer aren't chemicals?

I say leave the tank another week and see if the problems clear up with more cycling time and good size water changes. Cloudy water is usually caused by bacterial blooms and it usually clears in time anyway. Alternatively, run a UV filter for a day or three, though you shouldn't really when using TLC to cycle. I believe the instructions say turn off UV filtration for three days or something?

Anything not naturally found in the water is a chemical.

And bleach and pH buffer aren't chemicals?

Anything not naturally found in water is a chemical..... Right.

You mean like sinctred glass that we use to build bactria conlonies is a chemical? or the glass sides of the aquarium they're chemicals as well? Filter floss, spoge pads they're all checmicals too under this definitions Asinine.

Bleach and ph buffer or nutraliser is to make the resin inert again so it can start removing and polishing the water again= INERT

:roll:

Chemical or not, my point is still the same, and that is if he's worried about how established the bio filtration is then he should wait. It may seem cycled with the light load that is in there now, but if you add a hungry 8" aro and start feeding it high protein meaty foods 3 times a day will the bacteria keep up? The whole set up is still fairly new, so you want to gradually increase the bio load until you're confident the filtration can keep up. You could waste money on "products" (not chemicals...) to try to hurry the process up, but at the end of the day is it worth the risk when you're dealing with a $2k fish....

I like your wise words David R and I shall follow them. Sorry Candy, no updates right now, just monitering and testing my water and wishing the cloudiness would go away but after reading the last few posts I think it is becuase of a bacterial bloom and I shall wait for another week to see how things go then you guys can see some photos of an asian aro in lots of space!! :D BTW, does anyone know roughly how many asian arowanas are in NZ? Has anyone else got one on this forum or am I special? :D :bounce: Thanks for the interest and help.

Jamie

I like your wise words David R and I shall follow them.

:oops: aww schucks, just don't hold me responsible if it doesn't work... :lol:

Saw your fish at HFF Albany today, I'm jealous!

I remember Jansens brought in a few (~10?) a few years back, a mix of gold and rtg, not sure how many are kicking around still. I wonder what the average life span of an arowana is? I wonder if my old black aro is still around somewhere, I sold it in 2002 when I'd had it for a bit over two years, so it would be ~8 now and probably quite a good size as it was nearly 2' when I sold it!

/hijack...

Anything not naturally found in water is a chemical..... Right.

You mean like sinctred glass that we use to build bactria conlonies is a chemical? or the glass sides of the aquarium they're chemicals as well? Filter floss, spoge pads they're all checmicals too under this definitions Asinine.

Pedantic