My tank

jeash007

I've got Julidochromis marlieri already in there (cheers for them :D ) and I have some small Daffodil Brichardi as well. Am new to African Cichlids so not sure if that is an okay combo but they are still small so have some time to decide I suppose, what do you reckon?

Sweet I was hoping it was the jullies tank they should love that..

Another thing I do with my jullies is I had rocks stacked to the top, you do have alot of them and they will start being aggressive the most bullied ones in my tanks sat right up by the top and were fair game, you have time before they get that agro but its a thought you might have enough of them to get away with it

I had pulchers with the jullies no problems, they may fight when they grow up and spawn but you will have plenty of time to sort your tank out and reduce numbers as they grow if need be.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy them, they are a cool little fish and their parents are still breeding like mad and starting to get pretty big :)

Really like the look of the tank - the pumice does look really good and you've got some interesting shaped pieces there...

I had pumice in my tank for a while but it moved very easily and I got fed up keep re-arranging it when I cleaned the tank each week. If I could have found some really big bits and drilled them, I would have persevered but the biggest bits I could find were 15 - 20cm size blocks and they were difficult to stack and keep in the one place.

Alanmin4304 - You keep them from floating by boiling the heck out of them (put a heavy brick like object on top of them whilst they are boiling to stop them floating) and then after 20 - 30 mins boiling you plunge them into a big bucket of cold water and put the same brick like object on top of them. You know they are ready when you take the brick away and they don't float to the surface. If they do, you have to start over and boil them for longer the next time. Some of my bits flatly refused to sink no matter what I did! With regards water chemistry - there was no affect whatsoever...

Really like the look of the tank - the pumice does look really good and you've got some interesting shaped pieces there...

I had pumice in my tank for a while but it moved very easily and I got fed up keep re-arranging it when I cleaned the tank each week. If I could have found some really big bits and drilled them, I would have persevered but the biggest bits I could find were 15 - 20cm size blocks and they were difficult to stack and keep in the one place.

Alanmin4304 - You keep them from floating by boiling the heck out of them (put a heavy brick like object on top of them whilst they are boiling to stop them floating) and then after 20 - 30 mins boiling you plunge them into a big bucket of cold water and put the same brick like object on top of them. You know they are ready when you take the brick away and they don't float to the surface. If they do, you have to start over and boil them for longer the next time. Some of my bits flatly refused to sink no matter what I did! With regards water chemistry - there was no affect whatsoever...

Thanks I have some Coral pieces mixed in with the pumice so I hope you don't think the interesting shaped pieces is the coral I bought :oops: I managed to get the pumice about the size if soccer balls for $5 each from a supplier in West Auckland. I have got about three left over. If you want them i can ship them up at your expense because I'm not going to use them again?

Oops, sorry about the double post. Administrator, can you please delete the post before ad replace with this one...

Thanks I have some Coral pieces mixed in with the pumice so I hope you don't think the interesting shaped pieces is the coral I bought I managed to get the pumice about the size if soccer balls for $5 each from a supplier in West Auckland. I have got about three left over. If you want them i can ship them up at your expense because I'm not going to use them again?

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya,

I've used pumice in my tank after seeing yours - I got some bigger bits which were hard to fit into the pot, but look great. I added baking soda to the boiling water, and then plunged them into icy water, and they have sunk well.

I used a small circular rasp to carve out some holes - the pumice came with pot-plant holes which are great starter caves! :lol:

Thanks for the inspiration. :bow::hail:

Hey Foxglove, that's cool about the pumice, you should put some pics up It takes a bit of time to make it sinkable but worth it in the end. Mine has been well utilised by my jullies and clown loaches, the loaches have claimed one piece as there own :)

Ant N, I gave the last of my pumice away last week but have found the name and phone number of the supplier, have pm'ed you. They charged me $5 per piece (size of footballs) and you could choose your own.