Fluval 303 Part 2

NPnewbie

I have neve had a cannister filter before so I have some questions. I just bought a Fluval 303 the input tap leaks so I've just connnected the intake pipe strainght into the cannister, the output tap doesnt leak so I use that adjust the flow rate. It didn't come with a manual so I am learning as I go. My questions are:

1. Where can I get some rubber O rings for the tap?

2. I have foam on the top, charcoal in the middle, and pre-filter at the bottom.

3. How often do I have to change and clean the filter?

I am alway worried that I'll wake up with my lounge flooded!! Strange that!!

look for a place seal imports ltd in penrose auckland or try your LFS

Is it new or secon hand 303's are very old ?

If it is new it should be under warranty.

Get rid of that carbon and place more BIOMAX in there you should clean it out monthly and clean the pipes impellor and taps while youre there.

A good rule of thumb if ur not sure only clean sponges biomax etc out in fishtank water

Thanks everyone some good tips so far. It's an oldie but it seems to be going good have had it going now for a few days and no problems theflow is good. And as far as adjusting the flow- if I have it on full the fish gets pushed around a bit. And I will get rid of the carbon and put in some Bio-stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Newbie

you really don't need to clean the filter too often. I haven't cleaned my 403 since November last year and the fish are happy. Then again I do a water change once a month.

spare parts for the fluval can be obtained from your LFS

i HAVE two 204's and clean them out weekly, fortnightly only when pushed for time. They perform better with regular cleaning and like a car - last longer IMO. The fluvals are great. The newer ones have the valve shut-off so that you can take the hoses off without a flood.

I have two medium tanks and both are fully stocked - this means regular cleaning minimises any potential problems.

If the day ever comes that I can get a six foot tank I will be looking at the Jebo which seems to be an excellent filter at a cost most people can afford.