Planted tank VS Bristlenose, whiptails etc

spudiot

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster.

Have only ever had rocky Cichlid tanks in the past. Now i'm setting up a planted community tank. 125L 81cm Juwel setup. Planned inhabitants include Rams, Cardinal Tetras, Corys and a Bristlenose or a dwarf whiptail of some description.

I'd love to have a nice centre piece Amazon Sword but my concern is the bristlenose will damage it...

Yes? No? Maybe?

if you plan on keeping amazon swords then go without the bristlenose, they rasp too heavily on the plants' leaves thus damaging their epidermis. or go without amazon swords. or you could try otocinclus, black line flying fox, mollies, platies.

generally the damage is too severe for the plant to recover.

do they recover?

They don't kill the amazons but the affected leaves die off so to keep a tidy appearance you need to cut off the stripped leaves every so often.

if you feed yr bristlenose correctly it WILL NOT attack yr amazon swords/quote]

I feed mine algae tabs but they still eat the amazons

I feed mine algae tabs but they still eat the amazons

Try feeding them some fresh veges too. Courgette, cucumber, green beans, mushrooms etc.

The algae wafers are OK, keep feeding them, but alternate in some fresh veges as well. :)

I dont guarantee they will stop eating the plants, but they will be better fed ;)

Cheers

Ian

IMO if you give your bn lots of fresh veges and sinking pellets you are defeating the purpose of having them in your tank, and that is to eat the algae. they will damage swords as they try to graze algae off the top of the leaves, therefore choose: ancistrus type catfish or amazon swords...