PH - both are logical....

Tillie

Hi guys, stuck on something and second guessing it because what's I've been doing doesn't seem to be working. My tank is on 7.2 and I want to bring it to 6.8. Now, do I use PH up to bring it "up" the chart to 6.8, or do I use PH down to bring it down to 6.8 numbers sequence-wise?

pH will tend to drift down over time anyway.

7.2 is so close to neutral that I wouldn't bother playing with it unless you are trying to breed fish that want certain conditions.

Playing with pH by adding random chemicals is a pretty easy way to kill off your fish :o

If you do want the pH lower (assuming you are keeping species that prefer acid water) then adding some driftwood or peat moss to the tank will encourage the pH to fall in a slower and more natural way.

Cheers

Ian

Don't use that pH Up or Down stuff! Better to do it naturally although I doubt your pH will be a problem at 7.2.

Remember, just cos the books say a fish needs 6.8, doen't mean it won't be just as happy breeding at 7.2 in captivity as it may never have experienced 6.8 in it's life :wink:

pH up is sodium hydroxide...drain cleaner...and no matter how diluted i still wouldn't put that in my tank.

7.2 should be fine, pH really doesn't worry the majority of fish, provided that extremes are avoided. a high pH can, however, be more dangerous as ammonia will be in a toxic form, whereas at a pH lower than 7 more ammonium is present, which is not as toxic and makes a great plant fertilizer. so, for a higher pH just make sure your filtration is adequate.

I learned here long ago that a stable pH is better then one that fluctuates. However, I do have a question does the pH that the fishies come from (other than those bred in tanks) such as rivers and such, is the pH in those bodies of water different from one to the next???

Caper

nemines--- Sodium hydroxide is drain cleaner but it is also added to water supplies by providers when the pH is low to avoid corrosion of copper and brass. It produces hydroxyl ions which combine with the hydrogen ions to form water and the sodium ions remaining are as toxic as common salt. Like many things, toxicity is related to concentration.

Caper---- Fish come from all over the world and therefore from various water conditions but many can be adjusted over time to live and breed in conditions quite different from those they originated from. They vary from soft acid to hard alkaline