Dead Bristle-Nose

CatBrat

I got home from school last night to find that one of my new Black Eyed Yellow Bristle-noses was dead :cry: . Two of them (both males) have been in a tank by themselves for about two weeks. It was the biggest of them that has died. Heres a couple of pic's -

B_E_Y_B_disease_2.jpg

B_E_Y_B_disease_1.jpg

What do you think caused this?

Cheers, CatBrat.

sorry to hear that mate :cry:

its sad when a fish dies,

looking at the fish it looks like it wasnt eating its thin in the tummy and the black doesnt look good and you put a new food in the tank?

what other fish are in the tank?

has the fish been bullied buy other plecos?

are you feeding it meat?

have you put anything new in the tank like new wood?

i lost a zebra by putting drift wood in my tank, i didnt wash it well enough when i put the wood in and i paid the price.

so think hard oh and whats your ph?

Hi Kim,

I don't think that it was that thin, the last time I saw it on the front glass it had a nice rounded belly (3-4 days before it died). What ever it had seems to of eaten the gut area away (it had gone through the skinand had a large hole in its stomach), it looked horrible. I have been feeding them flake food (which they deffinatly ate), bloodworms, brine shrimp, peas and zucchini. The only other fish in the tank was a smaller male Black Eyed Yellow Bristlenose. The two of them just left each other alone. I'm did not feed them meat (am I supposed to?). The only decorations in the tank was the wood and it had already been in there before the Black Eyes (the tank had regular Bristlenoses in there first). I think theat the pH was about 6.5.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, CatBrat.

ok round tummy can be two things , as you said over eatting but most times its poor diet,

dont feed them meat! - so its good you didnt.

they need wood so thats good you have it in the tank, if you dont have wood in your tanks feed them jbl pleco chips as they have 10% woodfiber.

did you shell the pea's ?

do you leave the zucchini in the tank for more than 24hrs?

Guest Anonymous

When I said it had a rounded belly, I didn't mean a round tummy as in bloted, I ment that it was not sunk inwards, ie not unhealthy. Sorry for the miscommunication :oops:. I did shell the pea's and also I removed the zucchini when it first started to go soft, so around 24hrs.

Cheers, CatBrat.