Friends for Asian Arowana

yarimochi

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any way have you brought asian aro ? would love to see the pics when you are ready 8)

I was trying to keep it a secret but I guess thats not gonna happen now... My mum bought me the one at HFF in Albany. Im in Japan at the mo' so ill post pics of the setup process in about 2.5 weeks. I can give you one photo of the tank now which my parents sent me by email though, hold on a second...

your mother makes it rain... all my mother does is throw my 2m tank outside...

id go with a couple of dats, some ornates, a clown, silver/gold aro, and a fs eel

that way, you can have a sorta "fossil" tank, although not so much the dat and the eel, but who cares? your aros gonna be the main attraction

i know people say dont keep this with this or that, but at the end of the day, it still comes down to the fish... trial and error, sometimes an expensive error 8) 8)

your mother makes it rain... all my mother does is throw my 2m tank outside...

id go with a couple of dats, some ornates, a clown, silver/gold aro, and a fs eel

that way, you can have a sorta "fossil" tank, although not so much the dat and the eel, but who cares? your aros gonna be the main attraction

i know people say dont keep this with this or that, but at the end of the day, it still comes down to the fish... trial and error, sometimes an expensive error 8) 8)

I like your suggestion for my tank, thats my ideal combo.

Most of the fish you listed can work, its just a matter of having the sizing right and a bit of trial and error. I'd also suggest you stay away from the gourami and the oscars, and it would be a good idea to have enough tank space to seperate the fish if something goes wrong and they don't get along.

I'd suggest getting another tank and growing out 3-4 ornate bichirs to go with it, I've seen pics of tanks with a large asian aro and a few big fat bichirs on the bottom and it looks great!

*edit* the URL for the pic needs to end in .jpg if you want to post it using the tags. Forget snapfish and use photobucket!

Nice tank, shame we don't get gars... :(

how many silver dollars could comfortably live in a tank like that? Having silver dollars renders my hopes for having plants not possible doesnt it?

I had three silver dollars with my black aro in a 5x2x2' tank, they're not as bad as some fish for eating plants, but if you've got your heard set on a nicely planted tank I'd say forget about them.

And one more question, what kind of flow rate do asian arowana like? Im going to buy a fluval fx5 for that tank, is that going to create a whirlpool? My little guy is often the bottom of the tank at hff and im wondering wether its the fast flow rate he doesnt like? I know they are a surface fish though...

Thanks

And one more question, what kind of flow rate do asian arowana like? Im going to buy a fluval fx5 for that tank, is that going to create a whirlpool? My little guy is often the bottom of the tank at hff and im wondering wether its the fast flow rate he doesnt like? I know they are a surface fish though...

Thanks

You can adjust the flow on fx5's btw

i rekon judge the flow rate yourself ,once you get it all up and running ull be able to tell if its enough or not enuf flow.

yea went in and saw your aro today , i saw it a few months ago aswell ,and still the same hangs around the bottom

its strange ay but im sure hel come right eventuly :D

Yeah I have an FX5 they are designed to have adjustable flow rates also with the output nozzles you can point in in any direction you want.. I also have it on a 5 x 2 x 2' tank and its fine no problems with flow.. You can download the manual for the FX5 if you just google fluval fx5 it should come up..