Filter for turtle tank.....

Ninja turtle

as far as im aware, turtle tanks use the same filters as fish tanks(i had a snake necked turtle in my community fish tank & he did well). i can recommend aquaone canisters as being very reliable & also one of the cheaper items available if you get them from "pet planet" in onehunga. i have two, a cf1200 & cf1000 & have not had any trouble in two years.

buy a cheap aqua one

these turtles dont exactly live in perfect water in nature

in fact these sometimes live in muddy stagnant water.

but obviosuly you want peace of mind

a cheap aqua one 100 bux willdo the trick

even a cheaper internal for 40 bux

i used to have turtles, never ever had problems, grew healthy, strong and very hungry and all i had was an internal

Thanks guys..... Now, what the different between the hang-on, internal, external & cannister fitlers. What are the best one for the turtle tank? Is fluval a good brand? Thanks again.

hangon hang on the tank wall, internal are units that suction cup on the inside submersed. external are canister filters, the canister has piping to & from the tank.

I have not had any fluval filters but they have a good repretation.

another way to keep your tank cleaner is to feed your turtles in a seperate container or tank and leave them there for about 20 mins so the excret there mess in the feeding container then just clean that often i run a aqua one cf1000 with 4 snake neck turtles

• 2 weeks later...

I would definately go for a canister filter, takes up less room, easier to maintain, and generally is more suited to the sort of waste produced by turtles.

I prefer eheims or fluvals but overall it just depends on what is the best price at your local suppliers. One size up from what is normally advised for your tanks litre volume is always advised too, it saves alot of cleaning later on when your turtles start to get bigger and produce more waste.

Heater guard definately advised. And i often try to hide the heater behind tank furniture to keep it out of the way.

I use one of these, works great but the filter needs cleaning out every other day as it is a paper type filter, but if you could modify one of the filter elements to foam then it would be great, passes huge amounts of water allowing more animals per litre and in the sun (which mine is) will not allow green algae to take hold, - just another thought for what it is worth, can get these very cheap occaisionally on Trademe. I have several and paid I think $15 for the dearest and $1 for the cheapest, only thing to watch out for is if they have been used with clorine, so lots and lots of washing before use if using a used filter element and preferably get a new one or modify one. p.s. have a large (very) snake neck in with red necks and it actually bullies the others for the food - also very very quick with its strike at the food so does not miss out very often, perhaps I am the exception to the rule as well because I have fish in with most of my turtles and though the turtles can't count very well, most of the fish survive(at least the healthy, fit, fast ones)