How to steralise rocks

slevin12

Is the rock porous? If not , you've already done as much as I do.

I take rocks from the garden , scrub the loose stuff off under cold water and put them in the tank.

It'll depend on where it's come from but if the rock's porous it may have some residual pesticides in it. Soaking it for a day or two should fix that.

porous um whats this

From www.onelook.com

Quick definitions (porous)

adjective: able to absorb fluids (Example: "The partly porous walls of our digestive system")

adjective: full of pores or vessels or holes

adjective: allowing passage in and out (Example: "Our unfenced and largely unpoliced border inevitably has been very porous")

Dont worry too much.. it's unlikely that there is some strange fish plague living under a rock in your garden :wink:

Fish tanks are NOT sterile environments, the bacteria, algae, diatoms, and who knows what else that live in your tank will soon take over the rock and set up their own little biotopes there anyway, inspite of any terrestrial bug that may already be there or any cleaningyou do first. ;)

Cheers

Ian

Fish tanks are full of bacteria. The fish are basically swimming around in a pool of their own diluted poop. It's like an alligator in a sewer worrying about germs on a sanitation department employee just before it drags him into the sewage and eats him.

• 4 weeks later...

after boiling , I soak unknown rocks in diluted white vinegar to see if there is iron mineral deposits in the rock. If veins or patches of colour keep foaming or bubbling the rock goes back to the wife"s garden. A lot of rocks will give of bubbles when they first get soaked so boiling anything except live stuff makes sense to me.