Siamese Fighter - Tank size?

newfish

As per subject ... What is the smallest size tank a siamese fighter would HAPPYILY live in????

Have a small tank that I was thinking of but I think its too small.....

I REALLY like the look of these fish .... and REALLY want one but just unsure on if I have a tank suited for it....

or my other questions is:

would it be ok with......

Danios

Rummy nose tetra's

and a couple of suckly fish... (can't think of there names :oops: :oops: )

tanks 215Ltr with good air and filters.....also has live plants and a heater of course...

What do you all think ... any ideas on both questions..

Cheers

Apparently they are fine in 650mls mounted on top of a speaker :roll:

yup and i love living in my bathroom.....

i had my ones living in a community tank happily (190L approx). they lived with platy, cory, pleco, gourami, albino barbs who didnt chew his tail, tetras (I think that was all).

12L was the minimum I ever went for and that was usually my starter breeding tank for when the bubs were so tiny you really had to hunt them out....

Like the others said, not too small a tank and less water movement.

Compatibility - despite their name, they are a relatively peaceful fish, especially the females. Males will be aggressive towards other fish with big flowing fins and will chase the females around the tank, so hiding places for females and try to keep them separate from fish with similar fins. You shouldn't keep two males together either as they will fight. Possibly to the death, apparently.

the smallest I've kept one in was 18 litres, one of those tanks with the powerhead in the tank and a trickle filter in the lid, he was happy enough in the tank but the water movement he didn't like. smaller tanks = more water changes and vacuuming but they are lovely fish.

Cool thanks "guys" ...

I think I shall put in main tank then..... My small tank is about 12ltr (but I don't really like the thought)...

Tank may have too much flow though........ Have just (last week) put in an extra filter in that gives a flow for my danios to swim against...

plus gives better air .... I'm now going to take out the air stone....because I won't need it... (I'm on a bit of an over kill... but perfer to have over than under.... surely that gives the fish a better life??)

any more advice is welcome...

Bettas are fine in smaller tanks,(well bigger than an Ipond anyway) as long as you treat it like a normal tank. Have some sort of filter, an undergravel works fine. Do normal water changes and gravel vac, drop in a few plants, no problems.

The stocking rate is no different to putting 10 x 5cm fish in a 120l tank and Bettas aren't a fast swimming schooling fish thats needs space to swim. They seem quite happy putzing about in some floating weeds in a small but well maintained tank.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks everyone...

I have to wait for tank to calm down first would really like one in there but may look at other option .... sounds like he'd be happier there after all...... if this is the case I'll have to cycle tank first.

thanks for all the info.