sumps v external filter

Adrienne

Whats peoples opinions on sumps in a planted freshwater tank. Heard today that its not the best idea and an external filter might be a better option. 450 litre tank with most likely discus etc as per some of my other posts. Will have rocks and plants in it for variety.

Sump should be the best filtration as you can fit much more media in it and have as much water flow as want, just buy bigger pumps.

But it is more complex to setup, you either have to drill the tank or make a modified siphon type overflow that needs to be primed. An external cannister is much simpler, stick the pipes into the tank and start it up.

Both are very good systems, but the sump should give the best filtration, while the cannister is easier to use.

Cheers

Ian

i think its to do with co2 etc..

Yes. if you are running a CO2 injection system for the plants then the open flow in the sump will release more of your CO2 than a closed system. Especially so with a wet/dry sump setup which basically rains the water over exposed media.

Cheers

Ian

a sump is in effect a giant external filter but better

you can put more stuff in there to help filtration, heaps of filter wool with out risk of clogging and reducing flow.

sump is way better, if you want to go the whole way, you fill up the sump with bio media etc. you can have the same multistage filtering as you would in a canister as you would a sump, just that a sump has a massive return pump, well it would be good to have one, and that is your filtration.

in the past i have found that even small particles can be caught in the filterwool of a sump

currently i have a 6ft, it used to only have the sump nothing else, and in the sump was 3 internal filters. this kept my water perfect and extremely clear. so clear birds were trying to fly through:D

Canister filters hate running at a headheight.. the outlet and inlet need to be around the same height essentially zero head height due to the siphon forces in the inlet pipe equaling the pressure of the water pushing down in the outlet pipe.. I hate tried to use canister filters to pump water around for water changes and had no luck..