Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Can any one tell me what fish will eat Altum Angel eggs? :o I have in the tank at the moment Neons, Black and Black Widdow Tetras plus a Kuhli loach and 4 Peppered Cory's which I plan to remove all before the fry hatch. I removed the Bristle Nose straight away which was an easy job as he stays in his hidding place even when removed from the water. I'm reluctant to remove all the others and disturb/stress them until they have finished spawning! Plus the female is keeping everything away at the moment while light. Will the cory's be a threat at night? Also will both the parents eat the fry?

I purposefuly put a pair in a tank on their own and have been pumping the live food into them and concentrating on them trying different temps and pH and the ones I feed flake and don't care about breed .... ain't that the way! :-?

Posted

That's the plan but she still appears to be laying (12 hours+ ago started)! I must say I thought there'd be more eggs (about 200) and wondered how long they lay for? I don't want to disturb them while still laying!

Posted

Hi

I think they should be finished very shortly. You might be able to tell how much longer by the female's belly. It should be quite flat aside from her ovipositor (a small brown triangle) if she is nearly finished. Also, one angel will move away while another hovers over the eggs, fanning them with a fin.

Posted

Those fish will eat the eggs if they get a chance.. Leave a night light on so they can guard them until you remove all the other fish :)

Oh and get in touch if you get any babies ill buy some :)

Posted

All the eggs still there this afternoon and I'm just warming up a cycled tank for such occasions and will transfer them over. She laid them all on a under gravel filter bubble tube so will be very easy to remove and finished about 1:00am this morning.

Ryan I'm not sure if they are a pure Altum but were bought as them from an Auck importer, no names mentioned, and were wild caught. They are not Scalare so maybe an intermediate cross or an area variant??? :-?

Posted

Yeah I know the ones your talking about they still look like nice fish where are you living?

good luck with the babies as long as you leave a night light on the parents will guard them :) Are you planning to remove the eggs or leave them with the parents?

Posted

I have moved the eggs into another tank on their own but would have prefered to have left the mum in with them. For some reason I seem to have a better survival rate that way ..... with my Appisto's anyway??? I swapped the bubble tube for another to reduce stress on the adults and the mum is still guarding it like the eggs are still there. I might have to swap them into a tank on their own.

Was going to treat the water with Methylene Blue but don't have any, wondered about Blue Circles "White Spot Cure" as it is blue but no mention of the ingredients. I'm loathed to use Melachite Green as a preventative as it is quite toxic so gave the tank a good clean and did a 50% water change. .... probably an ideal time to use a UV steralizer?

I'm in Levin.

Posted

Yeah if the parents will look after them I think you get better survival rates I think its because the parents can actually look after the eggs better than an airstone and meth blue.

For some reason I think that white spot cure is Melachite Green and meth blue? That is just a random thought I don't know where it came from..

You could try just having a clean tank and putting in complete darkness?

Posted

Just hatched :bounce: and are blobbed out on the heater .... I think it best I move them before the thermostat kicks in! About 20 turned white and none fungused out! Now the hard bit raising them but all fun and interesting!

Posted

Will be selling/swapping them but I'm not counting my chickens even though they have hatched! I imagine they'll take a wee while to get up to saleable size. From what I've read live BS are best to put the size on, not the encapsulated .... any one confirm this as I've found it works well with Appisto's? Will try some pics.

Posted

Decapsulated are the best from what I have read, yes the hatched ones can be as good and fish will go for something thats moving alot better but if you don't feed them when they are newly hatched and still have their attached egg sack they don't have as much goodness as decapsulated unhatched ones..

Thats just what I can gather about them plus the decapsulated ones are less work which is good in my books :)

Posted

As you can see (if you can see .... bad shots!) there is some fungus developing on the old eggs. I tryed to remove it but some fry are stuck to it and won't shake off but it doesn't seem to be causing a problem .... yet! They are not free swimming but I think they will be tomorrow as the odd one is moving about. Some seem stuck to the side of the glasstank by their backs and others look stuck together still and to other objects. I assume this will sort itself out hopefully without too many deaths? I started feeding live BS this morning and the odd one appeared to be feeding but figure tomorrow while I'm eating turkey they'll be dinning on shrimps!

Posted

They will stick to stuff until they're fully free swimming..

It is also best not to feed anything until they fully free swimming otherwise you risk fowling the tank and killing them.. There is no advantage in feeding them while they still have their egg sacks that is what is feeding them at the moment.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...