fish dieing

scotty

Unless you have really high PH tapwater, do waterchanges!

Good luck,

Robbo :wink:

i,ll try the water changes tomorrow thanks for the help its getting me a bit worried that ill loose all my fish already lost 2 angles 1 red shark and looks like im going to loose the last angle and a catfish

Can't keep your PH DOWN from acidic? A high PH is alkaline, a low PH is acidic. What is the PH?
my ph is acidy so ill try some water changes tomorrow and see how that pans out if you have any other information please let me no thanks for your time

If the PH is only 6.4-6.6 then that's not a problem, not ideal for all fish but nothing to worry about unless you've got africans which like really high PH, even most of them will survive at that PH, just won't be happy. If it's a new tank then I think you're most likely problem is ammonia or nitrite poisoning. Do you have test kits for those? If not take some water to your nearest pet store and see if they'll test it for you. I know animates does water tests if there's one near you.

That pH (6.4-6.6) isn't too bad for fish like the ones you mentioned are dieing (angels etc). As long as it is stable they shouldn't be dieing from that. Something else is probably wrong. Have you tested for anything else e.g. ammonia, nitrite etc? Has the tank been set up long? Do they look like they have any diseases? Do the fish show any unusual behaviour/symptoms before dieing? Is there any chance something toxic could have ended up in the water (e.g. fly spray etc)?

Water changes are still probably the best bet to stop the deaths until you know for sure what the source of the problem is (unless of course it is the water or something in the water you are using that is causing the deaths - what are you using by the way?).

Sorry for all the questions, but this kind of info & observations may help find out why your fish are dieing, or at least help stop them from dieing.

Really high nitrate levels are also toxic. If your real nitrate level is over 80ppm, long term exposure to this level will kill the fish. It damages internal organs.

Get a nitrate test done. If it's over 80 you'll need to do water changes more often.

When I first started keeping fish I have really high nitrate levels (probably from over feeding) and ended up having to do water changes twice a week for 2 months until things settled down. Until then my fish would mysteriously die for no apparent reason.

If the PH is only 6.4-6.6 then that's not a problem, not ideal for all fish but nothing to worry about unless you've got africans which like really high PH, even most of them will survive at that PH, just won't be happy. If it's a new tank then I think you're most likely problem is ammonia or nitrite poisoning. Do you have test kits for those? If not take some water to your nearest pet store and see if they'll test it for you. I know animates does water tests if there's one near you.
thanks for the info my tank is just over 2 yrs and never had a problem like this before, i gave it a good clean out , emptying most of the water then a month later this started , so thanks for your help once again... also im new in the fish room and just finding my way around it ....scotty

That pH (6.4-6.6) isn't too bad for fish like the ones you mentioned are dieing (angels etc). As long as it is stable they shouldn't be dieing from that. Something else is probably wrong. Have you tested for anything else e.g. ammonia, nitrite etc? Has the tank been set up long? Do they look like they have any diseases? Do the fish show any unusual behaviour/symptoms before dieing? Is there any chance something toxic could have ended up in the water (e.g. fly spray etc)?

Water changes are still probably the best bet to stop the deaths until you know for sure what the source of the problem is (unless of course it is the water or something in the water you are using that is causing the deaths - what are you using by the way?).

Sorry for all the questions, but this kind of info & observations may help find out why your fish are dieing, or at least help stop them from dieing.

the tank is just over 2yrs old the angle fish was showing some discolouration ( cloudy whitish) and is having spasm type fits the catfish is not very mobile ,, ill take some water to a shop today and get it tested for amonia (thanks thats a new one to me no ones told me about thatbefore)well thanks again scotty

Really high nitrate levels are also toxic. If your real nitrate level is over 80ppm, long term exposure to this level will kill the fish. It damages internal organs.

Get a nitrate test done. If it's over 80 you'll need to do water changes more often.

When I first started keeping fish I have really high nitrate levels (probably from over feeding) and ended up having to do water changes twice a week for 2 months until things settled down. Until then my fish would mysteriously die for no apparent reason.

hey thanks for your input warren ,, if it is the nitrate and amonia it looks like ive got a lot of work ahead thanks

Hi Scotty,

When you post... only use the "Quote" feature if you need to quote what someone else has said.. (Not required at each post).. and for what you want to say, just type as normal, without the quote.

It makes things easier to follow.

HTH.

Bill.

• 2 weeks later...