A Pond

VinsonMassif

Well I am not allowed any more tanks in the house. I have been given the hard word. Our power bill is high enough as it is, so no more tanks (at the moment - I'm sure I can sneak another in next year....)

So I was standing outside today and a thought came to me (rare, I know - it didn't hurt either LOL). I can build a pond. Well really I envisioned a pondlet. It will be about 6'x6'x1.5'. I am going to start it this weekend.

I envisioned I will get a whole heap of plants to start with, then maybe think about small fish like WCMM's in a couple of months. I am thinking about a unfiltered pond to start with. I don't really want to spend money on it other than plants atm. We have enough materials lying around the house that will suffice to construct the pondlet.

I found a good plan on line: set outline, dig hole, lay sand, foamy layer/old carpet, polythene liner out smooth, appropriate substrate covering liner entirely (to keep out of sun), mound bank around edge, fill with water, leave a week then add plants. I was going to fill it with water change water to start of with some nitrates to boost my first plants.

I would appreciate any advice or input from people in-the-know.

Watch out for overhanging deciduous trees, or underground tree root systems (not to mention drains etc)

Try to build in a place with at least partial sun. Full sun will have it go green very quickly. Full shade is good and you can plant using ferns.

Check allowable depths with council. Over certain depth needs to be fenced.

Deeper is better as it stays cooler longer.

In Auckland, you're allowed a 400mm depth maximum before you have to fence.

Above some randomly decided area you may need a resource permit - I have yet to have a clear answer on this other than "Bring your plans in and arrange an appointment with a resource planning officer" (Plans? I was going to dig a hole and line it. What sort of plan do I need beyond that?)

Personally, I reckon you just dig, stick as close to the 400mm depth limit you can and don't sell your house any time soon so no-one with a permit fetish finds out about your project.

Anyway, here are the replies I have had from Auckland City Council so far...

"A building consent will be required if the depth is more than 400mm as well as a fence. You can come down to council, no appointment necessary, between the hours of 8-3.30pm with your preliminary plans and sit down with a lodgement officer who will go through all the details with you and let you know of any additional information that may be required as well as the cost.

Requirements for a building consent: Completed residential building consent application form

2xcopies of CT (cannot be more than 3mths old)

2xcopies of site plan

2xcopies of proposed plan (your project)

You may also require a resource consent re area coverage, you can find that out by calling our planning helpdesk on 09 353 9356."

"You may or may not require a building consent, best you come in with

your plans and sit down with a lodgement officer to determine whether a

consent is required or not. Can you also please call our planning

helpdesk on 09 353 9356 to ascertain whether you can put a pond there. "

Hope this helps.

Cheers for that Naz. I rang the council 3 times already with no luck. The 1st time the phones were disconnected, the 2nd time there was some sort of office meeting, and the 3rd time my call was dropped.

Your info is helpful. Our backyard is fenced in with locked gates. I can live with 400mm depth. We did a deck expansion 2 years ago and know there is not any pipes or cables where I want to dig.

So it's a goer IMO.

That's really good news, best of luck with your project.

I'd be interested to know what plastic liner you're getting and where from. The only liner of a reasonable size I have found so far has been almost prohibitively expensive. If you know of a cheap supplier, please pass the info along.