New leaves are very light in colour

Michelle.g

Planted some plants in a new tank about 3 weeks ago. They seem to be growing ok but the new leaves are very pale in colour, almost yellow. This is true for E. amazonicus, rotalia rotundiflora and the ambulia. Does this pale colour indicate a problem?

Tank is 48x18x18"

Lighting is 4 x 40W T8 tubes; 2 x 15,000K, 1 x 10,000K, 1 x 8,000K (what the light hoods came with). I'm planning to change the 15,000K bulbs to 6,500K ones. Maybe I should change them now? Will this help? I have read that this part of the spectrum will be better for the plants.

No liquid ferts, but the swords have JBL balls under them.

No CO2.

I don't really like the tubes that the hood came with, so I think I will change them now rather than wait. I want the stem plants to look bushy and green. At the moment they grow quickly but look quite sparse and pale coloured. I guess it's just a case of trying different light tubes and seeing what happens? I have the lights on 10 hours a day.

Add an iron supplement too

I might buy some PMDD, have seen some for sale on TM. Will PMDD be ok? It has iron in the trace element mix doesn't it? Considered making some PMDD myself but would have to buy quite alot of the ingredients and might be easier to buy someone elses mix at first. Any recommendations?

The root feeders will be getting some iron from the JBL balls too won't they?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...