Goby/Blenny Compatibility

jolliolli

Im wondering if ppl can give me some advice on fish compatibility. i'm looking at purchasing a pair of Sleeper Gobys (not sure of the scientific name, but its not the yellowheaded sleeper goby, they have a white body). Currently in the tank is a pair of clowns, a yellow tang, a mandarin fish, 2 large cleaner shrimp and a lawnmower blenny. Tank is 400L, with liverock and sandbed around 5cm thick. i'm wondering about the compatibility of the gobies with the lawnmower blenny, is their likely to be aggression, the only info i could find is that lawnmower blennies usually only become aggressive to other algae eaters. I have quite a lot of diatom growth on my sand and the gobies appeal because of their sand sifting behaviour. The pair that i'm looking at apparently are eating pellets and mysid shrimp.

So any thoughts ppl? :)

have quite a lot of diatom growth on my sand

need to solve the cause of the diatoms. normally get it if you dont use ro/di.

sand-sifting gobies will put sand on all your corals if there are any on the sand bed.

Yellow head sleepers should be ok in your tank. not sure how they will go long term. good idea to deworm them every 6 months

need to solve the cause of the diatoms. normally get it if you dont use ro/di.

sand-sifting gobies will put sand on all your corals if there are any on the sand bed.

yeah i know its not likely to solve the problem.. only corals on the sandbed are a fungia (which should be able to shed the sand itself) and star polyps

Yellow head sleepers should be ok in your tank. not sure how they will go long term. good idea to deworm them every 6 months

these pair aren't the yellow headed variety, i'm not sure of the scientific name they are white with smaller blue dots i think. How do you deworm them what med do you use?

pair aren't the yellow headed variety, i'm not sure of the scientific name they are white with smaller blue dots i think. How do you deworm them what med do you use?

They are similar to keep as sleeper gobies.

When you get them i would put them in a bucket of prazi for 20 mins.

In about 3 months i would mix the food with prazi to deworm them.

OK thanks, do you think my tank would be able to support the food requirements of both the mandarins and the goby pair? Im in two minds at the moment, if i can't support the log term i don't thinks fair to take the pair, so as much as i'd like them i may have to leave them. Some of the info on the web suggests they can be prone to starvation, and i really don't want to do this to them

yeah as much as i'd love them i don't think i'd be able to support the pair. I was down at organism today and picked up the red octospawn coral and my partner bought me the white bubble coral as a christmas present :D . I think my tank would be fine supporting one goby (as i do see copepods scurrying around at night) but i don't want to split the pair up, so i said to John that if somebody buys one and one is left over then i'll take the one left over (I'd feel bad splitting them up).

i've had the tank set up since august, think it was running for around 2 years before that.

i've had the tank set up since august, think it was running for around 2 years before that.

with a 400L tank i think you would be able to keep them

two years is a long time for a good population even with a mandarin

the gobys do eat dry food and frozen food