Root Entanglement

DutchKiwiCowboy2

This morning I found my female Bristlenose entangled in the roots of one of my plants. I have been having some problems with re-cycling of my tank. I guess I did something a couple of weeks ago that killed off too many of the bacteria and paid the price for it.

To combat this I have been doing daily water changes and thoroughly cleaning the gravel while I'm at it. However I got a bit tired of replanting everything everyday and decided to wait with that untill the cycling process was stable again. (It will only be a couple more days)

I had therefore left a rooty sword plant sitting on top of the gravel with the grave(toilet) :-? results mentioned above.

SO.... Please learn a lesson from my mistake and ALWAYS replant the plants and leave the tank as it should be.

Your plants will never grow if you keep pulling them out and replanting them so you can clean the gravel so it is pristine and leaves no food for the plants. If you want plants to grow they will need food and have a chance to get established. Sword plants lose existing roots and grow new ones when transplaned. Leave the media and just take the unsightly gunge off the top when it gets too much. This will also give a chance for bacteria to multiply in the gravel as well and will help with the recycling.

Unfortunately I also have a problem with some sort of algae that is a beigy colour and takes over like mad. At this point I am thinking about stripping the tank and starting over because I believe the algae has an impact on the ammonia as well. Its almost like it increases the ammonia so that it can multiply itself. It also gets into the gravel and I just can't seem to get rid of it.