Some questions on beardies

rollergirl

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in possibly getting a beardie sometime this summer and just have a few questions for those who keep them. Have done a bit of reading on the net, but finding some conflicting views on certain things on there. So just hoping someone would be able to help :D

1) What kind of substrates is everyone using? And is it ok to keep juvenile beardies on reptile sand? (Some sites say yes, others say no, but I haven;t come across a reason why in my travels).

2) Would a 1m x 440 x 570mm h tank be ok to keep the dragon in?

3) and perhaps most importantly...Do beardies smell at all? (The tank would be in my bedroom!) I would of course be extremely vigilant about food and poo removal... just don't want a stinky bedroom, lol :lol:

That's all I have for now... but expect more questions from me in the near futre :lol: If anyone has any general advice on beardie keeping as well or can point me to some good sites, it'd be greatly appreciated. :D

1) What kind of substrates is everyone using? And is it ok to keep juvenile beardies on reptile sand? (Some sites say yes, others say no, but I haven;t come across a reason why in my travels).

3) and perhaps most importantly...Do beardies smell at all? (The tank would be in my bedroom!) I would of course be extremely vigilant about food and poo removal... just don't want a stinky bedroom, lol :lol:

1. People use things like news paper/tiles/sand anything the young ones cant eat. Sometimes the young eat sand and it messes them up inside, so thats why

2. Dno lol, for a short period yes....depends on growth rate and how big it is currently(but im a not a expert)

3. If you keep the tank clean(pick up poo and things) they shouldn't smell

My 2c

1. People use things like news paper/tiles/sand anything the young ones cant eat. Sometimes the young eat sand and it messes them up inside, so thats why

2. Dno lol, for a short period yes....depends on growth rate and how big it is currently(but im a not a expert)

3. If you keep the tank clean(pick up poo and things) they shouldn't smell

My 2c[/qu

Keep on paper for first 4-5 months then use builders sand or my fav. is grit from stone and water world auckland- see pics thread under reptiles- this is grit. It comes in green, charcoal and coffee. And they can freight. Tank size below needs 3 bags.

That size tank cool for baby but adult needs larger. I use 5ft by 2 ft by 2ft and this is good as you can keep 2 in it if you want to later.

They do not smell and droppings are easy to clean out- esp off grit. Best thing to sue is a kitty litter scoop as it leaves the sand and scoops the poo.

Hope this helps.

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in possibly getting a beardie sometime this summer and just have a few questions for those who keep them. Have done a bit of reading on the net, but finding some conflicting views on certain things on there. So just hoping someone would be able to help :D

That's all I have for now... but expect more questions from me in the near futre :lol: If anyone has any general advice on beardie keeping as well or can point me to some good sites, it'd be greatly appreciated. :D

www.aussiepythons.com is the best site, just be aware there are heaps of different opinions and what works for one person may not work for you....best thing is to play it safe until you have more experience, and beardies are a great starting point :lol: