Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Unwell Damsel?

Featured Replies

I found the problem was the ambient room temperature as much as anything else - shifting big volumes of air over the entire surface of the glass seems to be a pretty effective way of cooling the tank down.

  • Replies 89
  • Views 70.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author

The tank is on hardwood floors and theres a ventilation system in the room (not A/C) and from the last 2 summers I've been there, inside is always cooler than outside. The main problem is the window next to the tank.

I'll have a play round tonight with the PC fans and light timing. Maybe I will setup the QT and throw the BT in it until I can get the tank consistant

  • Author

I'll post some pics after I've butchered something

Whats the usual lighting requirements for LPS & Softies? Would be much easier to take a light out for these fans to go in hehe

not sure what the requirements are but i'm currently running 2 x t8s and 2 X T5 and everything seems good but i should be getting metal halides instead soon

I'll be setting up ducting to go directly outside my window over new years :)

Figure a couple of meaty fans should do the trick, and will be dropping the lighting to about 8 hours / day.

  • Author

Well its all go tonight. Damsel is as good as gold, fan install went well and works exceptionally well. Even possible to put the bulb back in that I removed, we'll see though.

Even better is that I've witnessed my Blue Tang being cleaned by 1 of my cleaner shrimps, and my clowns have decided to host in my Torch Coral hahah!

Few pics (Gotta tidy up wiring on fans, but nothing open til tomorrow now)

DSC01644Small.jpg

DSC01642Small.jpg

DSC01638Small.jpg

DSC01624Small.jpg

  • Author
is the shrimp cleaning the other fish?

None of the other fish go anywhere near them, so no not that i've seen

  • Author

They're facing down, but theres also the backdraft from them so its extracting heat aswel. If I lift up the front section of the cover u can feel the air circulating

Its working bloody well too. Tank was at 26.9 after all day with the lights off (its usually 27.8) and once I turned the fans on, it dropped to 26 within 30 minutes

  • Author

It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for the salt water to crap em out. I might have to look at creating a plug for each one so I can replace them easier lol

Yep just 1 T5 to remove. Found lighting such a pain in a corner bowfront tank and spent so long finding a T5 bar to fit, and creating new cover panels to add a 3rd T5, but if its going to have enough light with the 2 T5's (i'm not planning SPS at all) then the health of the fish is more important than the extra bit of light.

DSC01579Small.jpg

Why do you have the nano streams pointing up soo much?? no wonder you have cyno :-? what other flow do you have?

  • Author

That pic was taken a number of weeks ago and i've changed it slightly now but they still point upwards

Main reason for powerheads that way is to create surface aggitation to get the crap moving round and into the filterbox where iv'e got a filter wool setup collecting the crap along with the skimmer doing the rest. Theres also a 3rd powerhead coming out of the filterbox.

The bowfront causes the current to mix quite violently, that and the cove setup makes it even worse and most of the corals don't like it. With them pointing up it still provides a nice current for them, but its not nasty like it could be. I wouldn't say my cyano is bad, not at all, but then again, its probably only early stages.

In saying that tho, I had bugger all green hair algae. What algae I did have, my Yellow Tang took a liking to.

Do you think I need to change 1 of the power head positions?

  • Author

GahhhH!!

So woke up this morning and my Blue Tang is COVERED in whitespot and is not happy (Wont leave its hiding rock). I dont think it'll make it through the day :(

There must be something I've missed?

I've fixed the temp fluxuations (Noted a 0.3 swing at most)

I've kept stable salinity @ 1.025

I've fed well and included that seachem garlic product to the food (and witnessed the tang eating it)

The cleaners have started cleaning (even if this doesn't do anything)

Water Params are fine, No NH4, NO2 and 0.5 NO3

I haven't witnessed anything else that could be causing any stress

Can anyone think of anything I've missed? Last night the Tang was out and happy, I thought I had beaten the whitespot but something has happened overnight :(

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.