simultanious breeding

DutchKiwiCowboy2

I have recently started breeding. My first batch of Tiger barbs were sold last week. I hopefully have the next lot brewing already. I put the parents in the breeding tank after my little ones were gone. After I came home the next day I took them out. The female was skinnier so they probably have been busy.

Later that night I put a pair of Neons in the tank. I have marbles in the bottem so that the parents can't eat the eggs. I wanted to see if this was possible since I had both types ready to mate at the same time.

This was 3 days ago and believe I saw some squirming in the bottem of the tank today.

I wil keep you all updated on how it goes.

DAY 6

I built a bubble up filter for the breeding tank today. (will post in DIY section tomorrow) I believe I see things moving in my perifiral vision but every time I look straight at the spot there is nothing there. Then again there is a double layer of marbles that they can hide in.

I haven't taken the towel off the tank yet because I am not 100% sure that it is safe yet.

I released the two little Barbs from my first clutch into the main communal tank today. They are trying to keep up with the big barbs and are doing great. No hassles from any of the other fish either.

• 2 weeks later...

After two weeks (day 13) I hadn't seen anything in the breeding tank. The water was pretty smelly so I thought something must have gone wrong. I left the tank uncovered and decided to wait a few days in case the barb's decide to survive and emerge. The next morning we found at least 100 fry bodies floating on top of the water. :cry: Looks like the neon fry were there but not ready for light yet. All the information I had read said they should have been well ready by week2 but apparently they had delayed hatching for some reason.

I immediately recovered the tank and am now waiting to see if any eggs have survived being cooked.

Still haven't seen anything that looks like barb fry, but last time it was 4 weeks before we saw the fry.

I have now removed the marbles so that they might be seen a little easier, keeping in mind that I had the curtains closed and the room as dark as possible while doing this.

I have seperated what I could and over the next few days I will see what I can do, but I am afraid to do too much while there is a chance of more neon fry emerging. If any more hatch during the next, say, two days, they should be able to handle light by saturday. I checked carefully earlier tonight and MAY have spotted a wriggler but it was too dark too be sure. That's the conundrum I am faced with at the moment. Turn on too many lights and I might kill what is there.

I've said this before but I'll say it again, marbles are useless. Get some whitebait mesh from Mitre 10 or where-ever and cut it to fit the bottom of the bare tank. Once the fish have spawned you can see the eggs on the bottom of the tank. When the eggs have hatched you can see the fry on the bottom of the tank. Then you just lift out the mesh. It couldn't be simpler. If you are breeding neons and want to know if the eggs have hatched just lift up the corner of the cover that you have over the tank and you'll see the fry scooting away from the light (because there are no marbles in there to hide them!). Also without marbles you can actually siphon the bottom of the tank to remove any uneaten food etc.

Ivé found the marbles to be a great way of protecting the eggs so far. When the fry are big enough I take them out anyway. Before that you can't really siphon the bottem in the first couple of weeks anyway because you would suck up any eggs that are late in hatching and any fry that aren't strong swimmers yet.

I did try a spawning with mesh once but was fortunate enough to see one of my Tiger Barbs getting caught under it. They tend to be very determined to get into places that they aren't supposed to.

When I say baby bristle nose I mean just that, they have just absorbed their yoke sack > very small, just 2 or 3 of them.

I don't feed the b/n at all - they just eat the left over brine shrimp :o , so any mess they may make is less and clearer then rotting b/s, did I mention I have a home made little sponge filter in the tank as well.