border security

bulldogod

Unless you have someone in DOC/MAF nothing will happen. They make the rules you follow them and they wont ask for your input and if they do they wont take any notice. Have a look at the Red crown Kakariki. Close to being extinct in the south island. There are breeders who are keen on breeding these and releasing them but don't DOC aren’t interested. I've been asking for the form to apply for a permit but they just won't send me them, there will come a time when they are in the same position as the Orange Fronts but DOC don't want to have any thing to do with private breeders. Just goes to show what you are up against.

There was a croc at the North New Brighton Zoo, this was a long time ago so don’t now what happened to it. The owner of the Zoo imported heaps of different animals from Reptiles to big cats. No permit required as there was no requirements to do so. Where are these now?

you pay peanuts you get monkeys...try getting something in writing from them about what reptiles are legal- they wont do it as they are too busy covering their own backsides. The key is PR, make them look bad by starting our own licensing system and see what happens.

Another good example is the Otago skink which is close to becoming extinct in the wild- they will not hand out any permits- except to one guy in wellington. Retarded monkeys.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand why he release's them but it is legal even if they were in your own back yard. The other thing that DOC is doing is not renewing permits, I know this is happening in Northland. A guy from CITIES(DOC/MAF/Customs) told me that DOC are reviewing all native's with a view to canceling all permits, this at the same time they where asking me to buy smuggled parrots undercover. Yah right

You better believe it. They know that it is happening, they know who’s doing it, they just can’t get them unless they get them at the airport (others they’ve paid). They seem to do very little apart from hope they can pick them out coming off the plane. I was asked to smuggle as a young chap around 15 years ago when I went to Ozzie on the way home with my then girlfriend on a holiday, while I wasn’t above bending the rules this didn’t seem to be a good idea. Not with the same girl any more but her father still keeps lots of parrots and I’m sure that they aren’t all legal. There is a core group of people that smuggle or are involved in doing it and have been doing this for some time the only way to stop this is for there to be a legal way of importing. While they continue to bust people there will be people to fill their place as the money is so good. Me I just can’t get the parrots I want, great isn’t it that the people who play by the rules are the ones left behind.

Because you can't export native parrots from Ozzie a lot are borough here hatch and then exported. Others just stay here as we are very short on bloodlines. Galah's in the UK and US are worth more than a Macaw even Rainbow Lorys are worth good money.

When I say under cover it was like, you know him, why don't you ask for this.

You here so many stories for other bird keepers it’s just a joke trying to stop it happening.

I was asked many years ago to go to Ausie with a group of guys, buy a boat and sail back to NZ with a boat load of cockatoos etc. I declined but I am sure there would be no shortage of people to take my place. The deal was that if the boat was aproached by customs or maf they all went overboard or were released. This is no doubt where the wild colonies came from. In those days they could be bought in Ausie for $5 and sold a dozen at a time to the USA for over $1000 and that is a pretty good profit. Not so easy now with DNA testing.

I was asked many years ago to go to Ausie with a group of guys, buy a boat and sail back to NZ with a boat load of cockatoos etc. I declined but I am sure there would be no shortage of people to take my place. The deal was that if the boat was aproached by customs or maf they all went overboard or were released. This is no doubt where the wild colonies came from. In those days they could be bought in Ausie for $5 and sold a dozen at a time to the USA for over $1000 and that is a pretty good profit. Not so easy now with DNA testing.

why not do the same with reptiles, have an amnesty, dna test the animals, and if new ones show up then prosecute. simple, com'on maf dudes, i know you surf this site- wish i was paid to surf this site :wink: